PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix with MSN Broadband?

xTrinity
01-25-2003, 11:34 PM
Anyone know how to configre Knoppix live-cd with MSN Broadband? It is technocally not a "always on" DSL, as you need to start the DSL Connection Tool in Windows to authenticate with them, then it will let you get DSL. Is there a way for me to do this in Linux. Also, Knoppix does not read my network card, a Microsoft MN130. Its not on thier module list either, I dont think.

Dave_Bechtel
01-27-2003, 10:35 AM
--The very thought of you connecting to MSN with Linux makes me shudder... :shock:

--Just kidding. :lol: My DSL is with SBC, and it too is on-demand. Knoppix is in fact the first Linux distro I got DSL working under; once it was working there, I got the SusE 7.3 rig working with DSL as well, albeit with different PPPOE software.

--I think you have to go thru the Knoppix menu in KDE, and do ADSL-PPPOE config. I hardly run from the CD at all anymore (and almost never in KDE when doing so) - others here may be able to help you further in your Quest for Broadband.

--BTW - if Knoppix doesn't recognize your Ethernet card, my advice is to get a new/used PCI 10/100 card before anything else. (You can pick one up these days for $10-20.) 99% of those work with Linux. Brand names to look for are: 3Com, SMC, NE2000 compatibility, RTL8139 chipset compat, generic Linux compat on the box, etc.

Anyone know how to configre Knoppix live-cd with MSN Broadband? It is technocally not a "always on" DSL, as you need to start the DSL Connection Tool in Windows to authenticate with them, then it will let you get DSL. Is there a way for me to do this in Linux. Also, Knoppix does not read my network card, a Microsoft MN130. Its not on thier module list either, I dont think.

xTrinity
01-28-2003, 01:46 AM
Heh, its quite fast actually :p. The not always on is a draw back though... =\

So can anyone help me? Pretty new to linux, but I know my computing well.