PDA

View Full Version : need some assistance om documentation in detail

Adeel
10-10-2003, 12:13 PM
Hello everyone!
i'm a new member here, as i have recently known about the Knoppix work. I am highly interested in knowing the underlying details of the knoppix. So in this regard i need specific docementation in english to the complete knoppix research, so that i can exactly know at the bottom level that whats exactly has done. Therefore, please guide me by giving links to complete documentation or simply email me (adeelmunirbutt@hotmail.coim or 1145@nu.edu.pk) and if possible the exact code of knoppix, so that i can exactly know that how it is tailored which is necessary for its appreciation.
looking forward for a healthy response.

Tech2k
10-11-2003, 04:30 AM
Hello everyone!
i'm a new member here, as i have recently known about the Knoppix work. I am highly interested in knowing the underlying details of the knoppix. So in this regard i need specific docementation in english to the complete knoppix research, so that i can exactly know at the bottom level that whats exactly has done. Therefore, please guide me by giving links to complete documentation or simply email me (adeelmunirbutt@hotmail.coim or 1145@nu.edu.pk) and if possible the exact code of knoppix, so that i can exactly know that how it is tailored which is necessary for its appreciation.

Try really spending some time on this site and actually reading everything in the docs and the remastering forum.Then head over to Knoppers site and read all his talks and papers.Then spend a couple hundered hours with google and google things like "knoppix" "remaster knoppix" "remastering knoppix" "klaus knopper" and things like that.Then go to the docs section on this site and check out all the knoppix links and espically the mail list archives.Read them online and also download the whole archive packed with tgz and unpack the mbox file and search it with grep or load it in a browser and use the find option in the menu.It is loaded with info and i recomend searching klaus and knopper in that file for sure.That should get you started and its what i do here.Have fun and enjoy Knoppix ;)

garyng
10-11-2003, 05:23 AM
Hello everyone!

huh ? KNOPPIX is open source so you can find all the detail by going through it and it is not that much to go through assuming you are familiar with linux. It is just a standard debian linux with a tweaked file system plus a set of hardware detection programs for finding and loading the right drivers on most system.

The pointer I can give :

1. go through the linuxrc file in the initrd
2. go through the knoppix-autoconfig under /etc/init.d
3. go through the hardware detection source(if you are interested in that but I find discover can do similar thing).