PDA

View Full Version : Accessing my home dirctory on / partition

mr_dellarenta
10-11-2003, 08:25 AM
I am running a variant of RH9.0

I would like to have read/write access to my /home/user directory and everything therein but even when 'Read Only' is unticked and mounted from the desktop it is locked.

If I go into the terminal as root and type:

chmod +r+w /user

I can get in but I only see /Desktop and nothing else (there are other directories in my /home directory).

What I am trying to do is share files between Knoppix and my installed Linux distro

Can anyone suggest another way to do this?

Mr_D

danyd
10-11-2003, 01:12 PM
You appear to be describing two problems:
1. You cannot write to your RH file system and
2. You can only see Desktop directory in your RH filesystem

For 1, it could be that your RH file system has been mounted read only, check with the mount command.

If it's been mounted read only it will contain the word ro in brackets (possibly among other comma separated words).

If that is the case, remount the RH file system rw.

I don't know enough to comment on why KNOPPIX would choose to mount a Linux filesystem read only, but I recommend you find out why before remounting it rw.

For 2, are you sure that the RH filesystem that has been mounted by KNOPPIX is the right one?

Cheers
Dan

danyd
10-11-2003, 02:24 PM
I spoke too soon in the previous post ...

Are you able to see everything that you expect when you are root? If so then the problem is filesystem permissions in the RH filesystem.

Rather than always running as root under KNOPPIX or chmod'ing your entire RH filesystem so that user knoppix can read and write to it, add a new user and group that corresponds the RH user and group. That is, a user under KNOPPIX with the same user id as the RH user and a group under KNOPPIX with the same group id as the RH group.

Then just su to that new user and you should be able to access the RH user's home directory.

Cheers
Dan