PDA

View Full Version : Askey USB modem detected but there is no internet connection

01-26-2003, 03:11 AM
I have Askey USB cable modem. I use CD boot, after booting use ifconfig to check it. Everything is ok (eth0). DHPC broadcasting completes itself automatically, also it gets MAC, IP, DNS configuration. I check USB devices and see Askey modem standing there with full information.

Why can't I access to internet?

Hermanh
01-26-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm not sure but:
- eth0 is normally your Network Interface Card and not your USB connection.
- if you have multiple interfaces your default gateway should be set.
To do this use the command:

route add default gw 10.0.0.1
Where you have to change 10.0.0.1 for the IP-adress connected to your USB modem.

Maybe this information helps.

RealNitro
01-27-2003, 08:17 PM
^but how to find the ip-adress of a USB-modem? It must be possible with an ethernet-modem, but a USB-one?

01-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Just use the command
ifconfig It should show you all interfaces with their settings.

01-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Firstly, sorry for I posted the message to wrong forum :)

The modem has both ethernet and USB interfaces. I have no money left to pay for a LAN card :lol: , so I use USB one. And Knoppix says it's a network device at eth0.

Hermanh,

I' m going to try your suggestion, I couldn't understand it exactly though :lol: .

Thanks everyone for now.

OnLyTNT
01-28-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah, it's workin. I'm writing this lines on Knoppix connected with my USB cable modem.

Hermanh,

Thank you very much.

Now, it's time to dig Linuz world :lol:

Hermanh
01-29-2003, 03:08 AM
I am glad that it's working, but it leaves me with one question: How is that interface called?

01-29-2003, 12:44 PM
Is this my modem, oor am I doing something wrong? With 'ifconfig -a' I only find two things 'lo' and the 'eth0'. The problem is, when I use

route add default gw 10.0.0.1
linux says it is not able to do that. I tried it with both of the adresses, but it's just no good.

OnlyTNT how exactly did you get yours working?

01-29-2003, 01:30 PM
Can you display here what exactly ifconfig is showing you?

OnLyTNT
01-30-2003, 02:21 PM
I used root shell: k>knoppix>menu root shell command. Ifconfig shows me my IP, MAC and DNS addressess etc. (eth0 and lo - sorry I can't paste them here 8) ). While booting, Knoppix sends DHPC broadcast and gets all info automatically.

It's weird that Knoppix configures USB modem @eth0; in my opinion, it thinks the interface is kind of ethernet !?

Hermanh
01-30-2003, 02:58 PM
I am not really supprised by that. Your USB is used as an ethernet interface. I hoped it was another interface name. That would solve the problem of someone else.

Hermanh
01-30-2003, 03:05 PM
For Guest:
I did make a mistake in the post regarding to the command
route add default gw xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
I changed it (fat and underlined).