PDA

View Full Version : Can't mount any HDD partitions

sb73542
10-12-2003, 12:38 AM
Hi, I just fired up Knoppix 3.3 for the first time. It works really well, except that I can't mount anything. It autodetects that I have 4 partitions, but when I try to mount them with KDE it says "Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified". I tried "mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1" and "mount -t reiserfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2" and it always says mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2, or too many mounted file systems". When I run qtparted as root, it says in the terminal "Error: Unable to open /dev/hda - unrecognised disk label." Any ideas? Thank you!

P2C2E
10-12-2003, 01:56 AM
I use the commnad "mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2" to mount partitions.

sb73542
10-12-2003, 02:38 AM
BTW, I have an old IDE harddrive. When I first boot Knoppix, it says "ldm_validate_partition_table(); Disk read failed". I'm pretty sure that's the problem. However, my disk works fine with Windows, Redhat, Mandrake, SuSE Live-Eval, and anything else I use. But Knoppix still figured out my partition table enough to create dekstop icons for /dev/hda1, 2, 3, and 4. I just can't mount them. Is my HDD not detected correctly? It looks like the controller is SiS 5513 dual pci (dual fifo), according to Windows. Any idea how to load a specific controller module at boot time? Thanks!

sb73542
10-13-2003, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty sure this is a Knoppix bug. fdisk /dev/hda in knoppix says there is no partition table. In Redhat 9, there is no problem with partition tables. Any suggestions? Should I file a bug report somewhere? Thanks!

Arthas
10-27-2003, 12:46 AM
I encounter this problem also when i want to install knoppix on my HD.
I use qtparted to partition the disk which contains only 1 primary partition with windows98 (fat32).
When i havestarted knoppix WITHOUT dma it gives the same "error: Unable to open /dev/hda - unrecognised disk label" and then it just quits but sometimes it just wants to wipe the entire disk because it doesn't detect the fat32 primary partition. Very puzzeling...
But when i start knoppix WITH the parameter 'DMA' is different. I can now run qtparted (allthough the error is still produced but qtparted now doesn't quit) and i can partition my hd (still with some minor error messages but i think that's something else with qtparted "bad window" or something).

The harddisk is also rather old, it's a Seagate ST320430A of 20 GB capacity.
And the mobo is a ECS P6SET-ML with a SIS620/5595 chipset
link (http://www.sis.com/products/chipsets/integrated/socket370/620.htm)

I also experience the same problem as described here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5364) but with the suggested commandos it is fixed. I don't know if it is related to the the qtparted problem...

The strange thing is with Partition Magic 8.0 there are no erros whatsoever detected so what's the problem??[/url]

oblong
02-13-2004, 01:23 AM
I had the same error (and qtparted just dies) on a brand new ECS 661FX-M board with new Western Digital WD400PB drive.

I ran the Microsoft FDISK, created a partition, rebooted Knoppix and then qtparted was happy. I've not done any more than that, though.

Bob Long

oblong
02-13-2004, 01:32 AM
A followup: I ran FDISK again, deleted the partition, booted Knoppix, and qtparted did not complain. I did not actually try to create a partition, as the drive is to be "bare" when going to the customer.

Bob Long
(PS: I'm using Knoppix to test - to some extent - newly assembled systems that go to the customer without an operating system. It's great!)