PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot up from floppy

vincent
10-12-2003, 05:41 AM
Hi,

I want to use Knoppix in my Dell laptop with external CD-ROM and external floppy. There are two partitions - C: ntfs, D: fat32 in my harddisk. I can boot up knoppix using CD-ROM. However, I can't boot it up using 'poorman' install from floppy. It prompts out "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."

I also try to use options "tohd" when booting up from CD-ROM. Another error prompts out "cannot mount the dev ....." (i forgot the exact wording). It also drops me to the knoppix# shell. Anybody can help ?

thanks
Vincent

garyng
10-12-2003, 06:15 AM
Hi,

I want to use Knoppix in my Dell laptop with external CD-ROM and external floppy. There are two partitions - C: ntfs, D: fat32 in my harddisk. I can boot up knoppix using CD-ROM. However, I can't boot it up using 'poorman' install from floppy. It prompts out "Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."

I also try to use options "tohd" when booting up from CD-ROM. Another error prompts out "cannot mount the dev ....." (i forgot the exact wording). It also drops me to the knoppix# shell. Anybody can help ?

thanks
Vincent

Where have you put the big(700M) KNOPPIX on the hard disk for the poorman's install ?

vincent
10-12-2003, 07:31 AM
I copy it to D:\knoppix and D: drive is Fat32. I also try lowercase and uppercase in directory and file name but same result.

garyng
10-12-2003, 08:06 AM
I copy it to D:\knoppix and D: drive is Fat32. I also try lowercase and uppercase in directory and file name but same result.

so it is d:\knoppix\knoppix ?

vincent
10-12-2003, 01:04 PM
Yes. It is d:\knoppix\knoppix

Stephen
10-12-2003, 08:10 PM
Yes. It is d:\knoppix\knoppix

Try it with just d:\knoppix with the compressed file in the root directory.

vincent
10-13-2003, 04:31 AM
I try it but same result. Same message was prompted.