PDA

View Full Version : KERNEL PANIC!!!!!!!!!

knoppixnewb
10-12-2003, 09:10 AM
hi

i get this error after i have edited lilo.conf to include knoppix.

kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:08

this is how i have knoppix set in my current lilo.conf.

image = /mnt/knx/boot/vmlinuz
root = /dev/hda8

then i do a /sbin/lilo -v (after mounting all the devices)

then reboot

boot knoppix

then i get that error.

please help.

Stephen
10-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Your root partition for the image would not be mounted at /mnt/knx when you are booting that causes the error. Assuming you have not changed the kernel or the symbolic links you should just use image=/vmlinuz. Also that partition number looks a little high for a single boot system are you trying to dual boot too knoppix? If so list the disk layout and post the entire lilo.conf.

knoppixnewb
10-12-2003, 11:15 AM
thanks stephen.

i have worked it out. i had deleted knoppix then reinstalled (with out lilo) then reboot to my current lilo and selected knoppix and it worked!! but the ONLY THING I CHANGED WAS FILE SYSTEM TYPE and nothing else. this is very wierd and i have to say that lilo does not like reisurefs. any info on that?

Stephen
10-12-2003, 08:05 PM
thanks stephen.

i have worked it out. i had deleted knoppix then reinstalled (with out lilo) then reboot to my current lilo and selected knoppix and it worked!! but the ONLY THING I CHANGED WAS FILE SYSTEM TYPE and nothing else. this is very wierd and i have to say that lilo does not like reisurefs. any info on that?

That is weird I boot reiserfs all the time and it works every time for me you must have had some file system corruption or a bad install somehow.

knoppixnewb
10-13-2003, 04:38 AM
wel i have checked it out to make sure i was not making a mistake. i had repoduced the error and i was right. knoppix installed with reiserfs will not work but i had found out that it is also the same with other distro's i will keep working on it and see what happens.