PDA

View Full Version : I am giving up on knoppix.

Waylander
10-13-2003, 01:22 AM
I can format and all that, what I am worried about is the boot up manager, lilo, how do I get that out of my boot sector and have winxp load like normal, like linux was never even installed?

garyng
10-13-2003, 02:33 AM
I can format and all that, what I am worried about is the boot up manager, lilo, how do I get that out of my boot sector and have winxp load like normal, like linux was never even installed?

Install XP and it will replace the boot loader with its. You don't even need to go through the whole process, so longer you see the XP install program reboots, you get the XP loader back. However, you need to modify C:\BOOT.INI manually if intercept here, to set the default to your old XP entry(already in there).

Waylander
10-13-2003, 02:50 AM
Xp is already installed. So what I am needing to do is fix my master boot sector, and then format is what I am thinking.

solfrio
10-13-2003, 02:58 AM
Use a Windows 98 boot disk and type fdisk /mbr.

paulkchen
10-13-2003, 06:21 AM
Boot the XP Install CD. Instead of Install, select Recover or Repair option, then select Recovery Console. You'll have to type the Administrator password (if there is one) to enter the console. At the console, type 'fixmbr', then exit.