PDA

View Full Version : Windows partions and the bootloader

01-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Ever sence I used lycoris I've been searching for a distro that has a bootloader that can give you the option to boot windows or linux. Is something like that possible with Knoppix?

Hermanh
01-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Bootmagic 8.0 from Powerquest can do that.
I also managed to do that in LILO once. But that was on Slackware 8.0.
I do not know if in knoppix bootloaders you can do this, but it is not needed normally, because if you remove the knoppix-cd, Windows will start.

If you install knoppix on your harddisk, it's another story.

monkymind
01-26-2003, 03:55 PM
Ever sence I used lycoris I've been searching for a distro that has a bootloader that can give you the option to boot windows or linux. Is something like that possible with Knoppix?

I'm not sure what you're trying to do :? Install to HD?

I'll attempt an answer anyway - Let me know if it's off the mark :-

1) All linux distros use LILO or GRUB bootloaders, these allow booting to various OS's you have on your HD.
1a) You can even install LILO to your linux partition and use another bootloader like http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html to manage your operating systems.

2) As for Knoppix it's not necessary. You just put the CD in when you need it - take it out when you want to run windows. :lol:

If you install Knoppix to the HD it becomes a Debian system and # 1) applies.

Hope this helps
rob

tuxtom
01-27-2003, 09:42 AM
[quote=Anonymous]1) All linux distros use LILO or GRUB bootloaders, these allow booting to various OS's you have on your HD.
If you use lilo, just append to /etc/lilo.conf:

other=/dev/hda3
label="Windows(hda3)"Then run (as root) lilo again.
But this is imo already included in a knoppix hd-install.

If you use grub - I prefer it, cause you have to install it to the mbr only once - append to /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title windows (hda3)
root (hd0,2)
makeactive
chainloader +1

tom