PDA

View Full Version : A really easy question! please reply fast...

mark1221
10-13-2003, 03:24 PM
there is this driver i need to install and it says i should type "make install"
in the terminal so i did that and it installed but then there is an error that says that a file (modules.conf) is Read-Only and i figured out i have to change premissions :) , it says i should be root to change that, but how do you change accounts? i know how to do this in the terminal,rootme,
but how do i change premissions for files through the terminal?! thanks!

mark1221
10-13-2003, 04:06 PM
uhh... why did you post your questions on MY THREAD?!
anyways i know about su and sudo but i wanted to change premissions... i also need to know the password for "root".. i can type rootme in terminal, but i don't know how to change it so "others" will have writing premissions

rickenbacherus
10-13-2003, 04:51 PM
there is this driver i need to install and it says i should type "make install"
in the terminal so i did that and it installed but then there is an error that says that a file (modules.conf) is Read-Only and i figured out i have to change premissions :) , it says i should be root to change that, but how do you change accounts? i know how to do this in the terminal,rootme,
but how do i change premissions for files through the terminal?! thanks!

Are you trying to install a driver to a read only file system? That is to say- you cannot install a driver if you are booting from cd.

mark1221
10-13-2003, 06:57 PM
oh really?! it says read-only file system!
is there anyway to get around it? i can install it on my HDD as long as it won't hurt windows and my other files... how do u install it?

rickenbacherus
10-13-2003, 07:25 PM
how do u install it?

knoppix-installer