PDA

View Full Version : Installing .debs & creating shortcuts

Drago
10-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Sorry I can't answer your question, except maybe su, but I have a similar question. I downloaded some .deb files. Can someone point me to a tutorial on installing software or relevant files that would tell me how to do it?

Also, is there a way to install them in their own folder instead of bin and create some kind of shortcut to run the app (XMMS)?

Thanks.

rickenbacherus
10-13-2003, 04:54 PM
I split your post from where you posted it. Please do try to make your own posts so they will be seen.

rickenbacherus
10-13-2003, 05:01 PM
Sorry I can't answer your question, except maybe su, but I have a similar question. I downloaded some .deb files. Can someone point me to a tutorial on installing software or relevant files that would tell me how to do it?

Also, is there a way to install them in their own folder instead of bin and create some kind of shortcut to run the app (XMMS)?

Thanks.

There is an apt-get how to right here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2638) in the forums. If you're using KDE just right click on the desktop >CreateNewLinkToApplication and browse to the application.

ndrake
10-13-2003, 09:59 PM
To install a .deb file you downloaded try this as root:

dpkg -i thefilename.deb