PDA

View Full Version : DRIVER INSTALLATION - NFORCE

scots_butcher
10-14-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi folks,

I'm a newbie and need some help from you guys...
I've just installed a Kurumin (Brazilian distr) on my HDD (partition hda4).
My problems:

1 - When I click on hda4 icon on desktop a pop-up window with an error warning displays the message:
"Impossible to mount device"
Error --> mount: /dev/hda4 already mounted or /mnt/hda4 busy

How can I solve this?

2 - I've got an Asus A7N8X(non-deluxe) mobo and my NIC card isn't detected. I've downloaded a nforce driver from NVidia's website (rpm file), however as I'm a newbie, I don't have a clue on how to install such driver.
I'd therefore appreciate if someone could give some tips or even post a tutorial.

Help is very much appreciated....

Cheers all!!!!

m_yates
10-14-2003, 03:52 PM
To install the nforce2 platform drivers, you need to download the *.tar.gz file, not the *.rpm file. Unpack the file by typing:

tar -xvzf <filename>.tar.gz

Then move to the newly created nforce directory:

cd nforce

Compile and install the drivers with (must be done as root):

make
make install

Now insert your network driver (as root):

insmod nvnet

Configure your network card (as root):

netcardconfig

You can select DHCP or other configuration. The network should now be up. To make sure the network driver is automatically loaded after reboot (as root):

cd /etc
kwrite modules

The text file that opens has a list of modules (drivers) that load during boot, add a line with "nvnet". Save the file and exit kwrite.

You are done!

As for your first question, what is hda4, a windows partition?

scots_butcher
10-14-2003, 04:09 PM
m_yates,

I´ll follow your instructions and try to make linux detect my NIC. Cheers for the time being!!!

regarding to hda4, the scenario is
HDD 80Gb partitioned under WinXP.
hda1 - WinXP partition (NTFS)
hda2 - Data partition (NTFS)
hda3 - Data partition (NTFS)
hda4 - Linux partition (it´s where I installed Kurumin). When I was installing Kurumin I was prompted with an option cfdisk to format a partition to install the OS. I chose option 83 (Linux) and wrote tables to installed it. Hope that makes it a bit clearer...

Cheers again for the quick help....

rneff
10-14-2003, 04:49 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but I am still confused.

If you are running the OS from the HD, then the hard drive has to already be mounted. There would be no reason to click the icon on the desktop to mount it.

Did you install the OS to the HD and are trying to mount the device (/dev/hda4) from a live boot session?

scots_butcher
10-14-2003, 04:55 PM
rneff,

my apologies for being a newbie....
I reckon the hda4 is mounted (as per the warning display msg).
My question was actually about how I can browse/copy/... files on hda4 partition (like clicking on Windows Explorer´s icon placed on desktop).

Once again folks, sorry for still being stupid on Linux

PS: As soon as I get familiarised with Linux, I´ll say bye bye to M$

arkaine23
10-14-2003, 07:16 PM
Open konquereor and browse to /

m_yates
10-14-2003, 07:23 PM
To browse files, click on the house icon at the bottom of the screen. It will open konqueror (file browser) in your home directory (/home/<username>).

scots_butcher
10-14-2003, 08:27 PM
Cheers all, especially to m_yates....

I did what you suggested and am now browsing the net using Konqueror...

Thanks for letting me know how to browse my files where Kurumin is installed....

Cheers all again......I'll probably be back soon with more questions....

LarryJ1234
10-18-2003, 04:52 PM
I'm getting the same thing ,but I'm using CD. Can I do the same thing with using the CD and downloading it to HD.