PDA

View Full Version : Newboy needs boot help

raceoddity
10-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Hi all,

I'm a new Knoppix user looking to learn Linux and Debian in particular, but have hit problems early on - I'm running a standard Win2k box, with a single hard disk with 4 partitions, but when trying to boot Knoppix 3.2 from CDROM, after the splash screen I get the following errors:

PCI: device 00:0f has an unknown header type 7, ignoring

Then 8 lines of:
ide-scsi:hdd:unsupported command in request queue (0) x8

Then:
ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed

Followed by a few more lines of 'unsupported command...'.

Finally I get a welcome message and a 'looking for CDRom in /dev/scd0' followed by a few other locations, which eventually fails saying 'could not find Knoppix filesystem'.

Clearly it's booting the CDROM OK, but is there some config I need to set in my BIOS to enable it Knoppix to see the CDROM properly?

I've also tried booting with the noscsi and failsafe options without success

Any help much appreciated

Leo

Dave_Bechtel
10-15-2003, 12:00 AM
--The "unsupported command in request q" usually appears if you have an IDE Zip drive. No big deal. However, you should download the latest version (2003-09-24 as of this writing.)

Bittorrent link is here: http://torrent.unix-ag.uni-kl.de:6969/

Hi all,

I'm a new Knoppix user looking to learn Linux and Debian in particular, but have hit problems early on - I'm running a standard Win2k box, with a single hard disk with 4 partitions, but when trying to boot Knoppix 3.2 from CDROM, after the splash screen I get the following errors:

PCI: device 00:0f has an unknown header type 7, ignoring

Then 8 lines of:
ide-scsi:hdd:unsupported command in request queue (0) x8

Then:
ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read failed

Followed by a few more lines of 'unsupported command...'.

Finally I get a welcome message and a 'looking for CDRom in /dev/scd0' followed by a few other locations, which eventually fails saying 'could not find Knoppix filesystem'.

Clearly it's booting the CDROM OK, but is there some config I need to set in my BIOS to enable it Knoppix to see the CDROM properly?

I've also tried booting with the noscsi and failsafe options without success

Any help much appreciated

Leo

raceoddity
10-15-2003, 09:24 PM
Many thanks Dave, 3.3 seems to work for me :D - although I notice others are still seeing this 'could not find filesystem' issue with the latest version