PDA

View Full Version : needed.. a community ftp server

John
01-27-2003, 02:37 AM
There seems to be quite a bit of folks remastering Knoppix. I'm sure there will be hundreds of custom Knoppix ISOs in the near future. I wouldn't call some of them "projects" in the sense that places like SourceForge would find worthy of hosting.

Yet I know I'd like access to what other folks are doing and give their ISOs a try. I think an FTP account somewhere for Knoppix hackers/customizers would do this community a world of good.

Who's going to do it? How? Don't know. I'm just throwing the idea out there.

bhsx
01-27-2003, 06:03 PM
If we could get an ftp server somewhere, I'm sure it wouldn't be too big a deal to open a Wiki for people to announce new ISOs. Could easily give a discription/change log and md5sums plus the name on the ftp server.

dvessey
01-27-2003, 10:17 PM
While I think it's a good idea, it would have to be regulated somehow, IMO. I don't think it would be such a great thing to let billy joe bob, who just added a couple programs, upload his ISO and take up space.

John
01-29-2003, 12:05 AM
I guess the criteria could be if the ISO is different enough from what is already available.

bhsx
01-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Ibilio isn't easy enough, IMHO to get everyone to right there descriptions correctly in order to get them hosted there. There is no way to just setup a directory on there servers that we could moderate easily, which is too bad. But the Wiki is already up on this site, we just need the ftp space.

god
02-12-2003, 06:34 AM
i am more than willing to pay a few bucks to see this up and running....

kbreen
02-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Instead of the ftp server, what about using the P2P network instead?

People could use LimeWire or BearShare to distribute their new ISO and use the MD5 hash to ensure the ISO had not been tampered with?

I don't use P2P networks much myself, but if Knoppix was on there I might.

MichielioZ
02-19-2003, 02:10 PM
There is a very usefull program called "Direct Connect" that might just do the trick for this ... (original program from neo-modus)
There is a windows version of it on : http://dcplusplus.sourceforge.net/
and there's a linux version on : http://dc.ketelhot.de/ or you could just do:
apt-get dcgui
The program is basically a P2P program with "hubs" (sorta chatroom idea) where one can join the channel...
So if somebody would make a KNOPPIX hub it would show up in the public hub list and people could share their ideas in chat and at the same time share their ISO's ...