PDA

View Full Version : broken dependencies, apt did it! apt can't fix it!

lavaman094
10-15-2003, 06:23 AM
Somehow I got a broken dependency....I thought apt wouldn't let that happen...but somehow I guess it did....so it says so "apt-get install -f"....and I did....and it says:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following extra packages will be installed:
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 80 not upgraded.
7 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/27.3kB of archives.
After unpacking 135kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] Y
(Reading database ... 113340 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from .../libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So here I am still stuck with this broken dependency. I can't run apt-get upgrade to upgrade any packages it seems until this is fixed....does anybody know what the problem is?

Stephen
10-15-2003, 06:48 AM
Somehow I got a broken dependency....I thought apt wouldn't let that happen...but somehow I guess it did....so it says so "apt-get install -f"....and I did....and it says:

libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h', which is also in package xlibs-dev

So here I am still stuck with this broken dependency. I can't run apt-get upgrade to upgrade any packages it seems until this is fixed....does anybody know what the problem is?

Try dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb and that should let you install other applications.

lavaman094
10-15-2003, 08:46 PM
Try dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb and that should let you install other applications.

No luck:

root@Harkonnen:~# dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
dpkg: error processing force-overwrite (--install):
cannot access archive: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
force-overwrite
libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb

Stephen
10-15-2003, 08:50 PM

No luck:

root@Harkonnen:~# dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
force-overwrite

You would have to cd /var/cache/apt/archives/ first to be in the actual directory where the file is sorry should have been clearer in the instructions.

lavaman094
10-15-2003, 10:09 PM
You would have to cd /var/cache/apt/archives/ first to be in the actual directory where the file is sorry should have been clearer in the instructions.

That, I also tried, but it errors:

root@Harkonnen:/var/cache/apt/archives# dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb
Unpacking libxcursor-dev (from libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb) ...
force-overwrite

Stephen
10-16-2003, 12:06 AM
That's weird check if the file is in the cache directory if not you should go to http://packages.debian.org and download the package to the archives directory and install it.

lavaman094
10-16-2003, 02:49 AM
That's weird check if the file is in the cache directory if not you should go to http://packages.debian.org and download the package to the archives directory and install it.

OK, i downloaded it and it autoopened with Kpackage and I selected install, and I got an error which looks pretty much like the same error I've been getting before:

dpkg: error processing //tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
//tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb

lavaman094
10-16-2003, 02:56 AM
and the file is in the "/var/apt/cache/archives" directory.

Stephen
10-16-2003, 02:57 AM

OK, i downloaded it and it autoopened with Kpackage and I selected install, and I got an error which looks pretty much like the same error I've been getting before:

dpkg: error processing //tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb (--install):
//tmp/libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb

Right click and use save as to save the package on the HD then move the package to the cache directory and try to install from there I have never used kpackage but I would image it is not trying to force an overwrite it is just trying to install normally.

lavaman094
10-16-2003, 06:40 AM
Right click and use save as to save the package on the HD then move the package to the cache directory and try to install from there I have never used kpackage but I would image it is not trying to force an overwrite it is just trying to install normally.

Thanks for trying to help me. I did that, and put the file in /var/cache/apt/archives. I then did "apt-get -f install", but got the same error. I'm thinking the problem doesn't have to do with the package and has to do with "/usr/X11R6/include/X11/Xcursor/Xcursor.h'".

apt-get -f install
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)
libxcursor-dev (1.0.2-2)

lavaman094
10-16-2003, 06:42 AM
opps! I was supposed to run "dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb", but of course that didn't work either. I did cd to the appropriate directory first also....

Stephen
10-16-2003, 07:20 AM
opps! I was supposed to run "dpkg -i force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb", but of course that didn't work either. I did cd to the appropriate directory first also....

I just checked http://bugs.debian.org and it is a bug (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=libxcursor-dev&archive=no) it was resolved today so you should be able to get the new package in a couple of days once it works through the mirrors. It should be available in http://incoming.debian.org sooner, although I just tried the site to see if the package was there now and could not connect for some reason.

lavaman094
10-16-2003, 07:36 AM

I just checked http://bugs.debian.org and it is a bug (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=pkg&data=libxcursor-dev&archive=no) it was resolved today so you should be able to get the new package in a couple of days once it works through the mirrors. It should be available in http://incoming.debian.org sooner, although I just tried the site to see if the package was there now and could not connect for some reason.

[sigh of relief].....ok, and when it does if I can't get through to incoming.debian.org it should be available from packages.debian.org in a couple days?

thanks!

Stephen
10-16-2003, 08:35 AM
[sigh of relief].....ok, and when it does if I can't get through to incoming.debian.org it should be available from packages.debian.org in a couple days?

thanks!

Yes that is the way it works it goes to incoming then moves through to the regular packages, you should not even have to go to the website once it is in the packages it would be available through apt then.

lavaman094
10-16-2003, 10:55 PM

thanks!

Yes that is the way it works it goes to incoming then moves through to the regular packages, you should not even have to go to the website once it is in the packages it would be available through apt then.

Ok, how long does this process usually take?

Stephen
10-16-2003, 11:43 PM
Ok, how long does this process usually take?

I'm not totally sure of the time involved but it goes like this the maintainer makes the changes compiles the program and uploads then the people in charge of the ftp appove the package and then it is uploaded to the incoming after a while in incoming then it moves in to the packages directory where it should go. So it is a matter of when the people responsible have the time to do what is required to move it along I would think it would not be more than a few days.

towjamb
10-17-2003, 01:09 AM
Sure you have the command right? I used
cd /var/cache/apt/archives/
dpkg --force-overwrite -i package_inquestion.deb
and it worked through for me.
Regards

lavaman094
10-19-2003, 05:23 AM

Hmm...if the bug was fixed 9 days ago why is the package not available via apt and not even on incoming.debian.org?

This is so frustrating![/quote]

Stephen
10-19-2003, 06:24 AM

Hmm...if the bug was fixed 9 days ago why is the package not available via apt and not even on incoming.debian.org?

This is so frustrating!

Yes I would say so the only thing I can think of is there are other packages that it depends upon that are not fixed.

lavaman094
10-19-2003, 09:43 PM
This libxcursor bug was fixed supposedly almost two weeks ago. The package is not on incoming.debian.org, nor is it available yet through apt.

Version 1.0.2-2 is still the current version...

is there anything I can do?

lavaman094
10-19-2003, 09:46 PM
Yes I would say so the only thing I can think of is there are other packages that it depends upon that are not fixed.[/quote]

Opps! Double-post...

Um, but I'm missing libxcursor, so if it depends on something else, still why isn't the fixed version on apt?

Is there a page outlining the progress of this bug? This is pretty major cuz apt is entirely broken until this is fixed...I can't imagine this isn't a big deal.

RockMumbles
10-19-2003, 11:32 PM
First:

login as root or use su - to obtain root access

then:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives

then:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite package-name_version-number.deb

use the package-name_version-number.deb for the offending package, from your posts it looks like you should use:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb

The force command should be: --force-option

the -- before force is needed...

Note: you may need to use this on occasion (but be warned you may mess up your system if used improperly), maybe upgrading KDE, etc. what causes this is a particular file is needed by two different packages, and included in both so each can function, when the file is installed from one package, then dpkg errors out when you try and install the second package containing the same file.

HTH

~rock

lavaman094
10-20-2003, 06:34 AM
First:

login as root or use su - to obtain root access

then:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives

then:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite package-name_version-number.deb

use the package-name_version-number.deb for the offending package, from your posts it looks like you should use:

dpkg -i --force-overwrite libxcursor-dev_1.0.2-2_i386.deb

The force command should be: --force-option

the -- before force is needed...

Note: you may need to use this on occasion (but be warned you may mess up your system if used improperly), maybe upgrading KDE, etc. what causes this is a particular file is needed by two different packages, and included in both so each can function, when the file is installed from one package, then dpkg errors out when you try and install the second package containing the same file.

HTH

~rock

Sweet! I didn't think this would work, but it did!

Doing this with the correct syntax made apt say "libxcursor1 is not configured" which I said, "hey I can do that" and I did a configure using dselect and then tried the command again and it succeeded. Yippee!

lavaman094
10-20-2003, 06:45 AM
Thanks a lot RockMumbles for pointing out that small syntax mistake! How big a difference it makes...

I'd also like to say that none of this stuff was intuitive. I think that after I get used to it all I'll be able to spot that "posix"/long option/flags require the double-dash.