PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express 6 to Kmail utility by Ulrich Krebs - plus!

stukennedyuk
10-15-2003, 10:07 AM
One thing that was a barrier preventing me from migrating to Knoppix from Window$ 98SE was how to import my 1000's of emails into Kmail from Outlook Express 6. Happily this gentleman, Ulrich Krebs, has coded a utility that runs under Win, that converts the '.dbx. files to '.mbx'

He makes it available for free from http://people.freenet.de/ukrebs/dbxconv.html

(this is the English link).

I still have a few issues with Knoppix, when I start a new session my desktops icons are all over the place, I've bodged a startup script that resets some of the parameters that Knoppixs autodetects, i.e. I put DMA back on, automount the harddrives and set permissions to 'rw' (why doesn't bootmisc.sh get run?)

The big thing is I'd like to use my old HP (hpgl) plotter with QCAD, but cannot find out how to! Shame, no matter, I'm still better off!

www.stuartkennedy.org.uk

stukennedyuk
10-16-2003, 11:38 AM
I've done some more experiments (well, I was playing with dselect and completely messed up knoppix.....) so I re-installed.

This time using the 'knoppix-installer' script I opted for the 'Debian' style install. I think what happens here is that Klaus's clever script autodetects the hardware then passes these settings onto the standard Debian configuration files. There-after, it just boots as a normal Debian install. I think Klaus's script hides lots of the 'scary' boot messages (sends then to null?) . This is great as I've never managed to do a Debian install the normal way.....

So for example the much talked about 'bootmisc.sh' is part of the boot scripts and features in /etc/rcS.d (I think). This perhaps explains why other posts suggesting making changes to this script will not work when a 'Knoppix' style install is done?

Other differences are that you have the normal login prompt and the logout options that let you shutdown or rebbot or ligin as a different user. The Root shell asks for the Root password too.

Just thought you'd like to know. Stu.....

Stephen
10-16-2003, 10:56 PM
I think Klaus's script hides lots of the 'scary' boot messages (sends then to null?) . This is great as I've never managed to do a Debian install the normal way.....

Good advice but Klaus did not write the script it was Christian Perle for the knx-hdinstall and Fabian Franz for the knoppix-installer.

stukennedyuk
10-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Credit where it's due. Without the install scripts I'd not be running Linux right now

I'm finding it fun, although frustrating at times! Stu..... :D