PDA

View Full Version : How to install a USB Digital Camera?

tweety77
10-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Iīm trying to install / use my USB - Digital Camera (CASIO QV-R4) Camera under KNOPPIX 3.3.

I tried to do this in KDE Control Center - but it didnīt support my camera.

Has anybody any experience?

thank you,
stefan

Tech2k
10-15-2003, 06:22 PM
I just bought a usb 6-n-1 card reader for mine and when I put in a card (sd/cf/smart,etc..) and boot knoppix live it makes it plug-and-play and treats the media like a normal hard drive.Makes it easy to move files between the camera and debian just by swaping the card.The reader was about 30bucks.

Not what your looking for by a possiable solution.

aay
10-15-2003, 07:16 PM
I just bought a usb 6-n-1 card reader for mine and when I put in a card (sd/cf/smart,etc..) and boot knoppix live it makes it plug-and-play and treats the media like a normal hard drive.Makes it easy to move files between the camera and debian just by swaping the card.The reader was about 30bucks.

Not what your looking for by a possiable solution.

Yes this is a good solution. I bought a small little reader and am quite happy with it.

On the other hand try running gtkam and see if it detects your camera. You may want to consult the gtkam website to see if your camera is supported.

rickenbacherus
10-15-2003, 08:15 PM
I have had much success simply mounting my Toshiba as /dev/sda1.

CivilEng
10-15-2003, 09:35 PM
YES- I mount my Fuji FinePix 1400Zoom by editing the /etc/fstab file:

# This will add support for a USB camera to be mounted as a removable media
/dev/sda1 /mnt/XXXX auto noauto,user,rw 0

Remember to create the directory XXXX (can be any name) under /mnt (You can also make this any directory, anywhere.

Good Luck,

Civ

aay
10-16-2003, 03:58 AM
YES- I mount my Fuji FinePix 1400Zoom by editing the /etc/fstab file:

Remember to create the directory XXXX (can be any name) under /mnt (You can also make this any directory, anywhere.

Good Luck,

Civ

Yes some cameras will work like this because they function as a generic usb hard drive (not mine), but this will certainly not work with all cameras. Perhaps not even the majority. Fortunately for you it appears that your model can be treated as a simple usb hard drive. I discovered this by looking at the links below. Check them out and you should be able to get your camera working. The fist link shows which cameras us the usb mass storage device driver. The second one is more suited to your casio.

http://www.teaser.fr/~hfiguiere/linux/digicam.html
http://www.harald-schreiber.de/

For reference the gphoto2 page is also quite helpful.

tweety77
10-16-2003, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the fast help. Mounting my camera as a removable media works fine.

Thanks a lot.
Stefan
:)

bikerpaul68
02-18-2004, 09:00 AM

:)

I tried the change to fstab but I get "/dev/sda1 is not a valid block
device".

What am I doing wring?

TIA

Paul

sakiZ
12-27-2004, 09:16 PM
Try /dev/sdb1

instead of /dev/sda1

This assumes that you already assigned a device to /dev/sda1 so we move to the next available: sdb1

Play with it if you have more than two devices like this.

sakiZ

OErjan
12-27-2004, 10:03 PM
if you issue the coimand below in a console the information displayed

dmesg|grep sd might help you solve the puzzle.

crieman
12-28-2004, 05:18 PM
Check out s10sh for canon cameras:

http://www.kyuzz.org/antirez/s10sh.html

http://www.reynoldsnet.org/s10sh/

sakiZ
12-28-2004, 07:11 PM
<<<YES- I mount my Fuji FinePix 1400Zoom by editing the /etc/fstab file: >>

<<<# This will add support for a USB camera to be mounted as a removable media
/dev/sda1 /mnt/XXXX auto noauto,user,rw 0 >>>

Remember to create the directory XXXX (can be any name) under /mnt (You can also make this any directory, anywhere. >>>>

This worked for my Fuji FinePix 2300 camera as well.

Man, what a relief!!!

sakiZ

WB7ODYFred
03-29-2005, 03:59 PM
:shock: for the above post, dmesg | grep sd is telling you to look at the messages to see if you have a device that was mounted as /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 which is a SCSI mount point when your USB camera was plugged in to the USB cable. The HotPlug will detect the change and print out a message.
# mount could tell you if your camera has mounted as a filesystem, that you read and write to directly

You might also list what the Linux Kernel sees attached to the USB port with the following
# ls /proc/bus/usb
# cat /proc/bus/usb/devices

Thanks for this thread, it was instructional. On a hard disk install of Knoppix that has been upgraded using apt-get, dselect, kpackage, or synaptic

apt-get install gtkam

you might have to add the group camera to a users profile with kde-user manager. also add check box for the audio groups to.

In a consol terminal window, make a directory to save your pictures in. Change directory to that area, start gtkam (which is a graphic user interface ) to gphoto2 libphoto2 and one other software XX

#mkdir mypics
#cd mypics
#gtkam
re-scan and detect your camera. Select it. Then download and save your pictures
I open konqueror to the location file:///home/knoppix/mypics then select the ICON view, and set the ICON size to HUGE, then I can view all the pictures simutaneously to select and delete the ones I don;t want.

I hope other readers add to the knowledge here of HowTo install and use a USB Digital Camera on Knoppix / Debian. This was my two sents worth that uses gtkam with a cheap old SIPIX StyleCam BlinkII with USB interface. Long Live Knoppix Linux!! Knoppix has helped me to use my camera and my Cell phone.

Sanyo 4900 on a SPrintPCS cell phone
Here in the USA, have a SprintPCS cell phone? Buy the FutureDial USB cable to connect the Sanyo 4900 SprintPCS cell phone to Knoppix 3.4 Linux as a modem for surfing the web / email at 7K to 14.4K bytes per second rate. What is the secret command to issue in a console window to surf the internet?

# pon sprint

I just could not believe it!! It was all there in Knoppix (Debian) Linux one $22 cable (www.futuredial.com) and one 10 character command line and I was on line!!! I was using a computer in my 18 wheeler Rig, no access to a phone line to dial in. My particular SprintPCS plan gave me unlimited Data connection. Your plan may be different. It logs in by sending the dialup command #777 through the /dev/usb/ttyACM0 usb serial port device.

Fred Finster
fredfinster (AT) netscape (DOT) net