PDA

View Full Version : New Newbie - Need Help Running liloconfig

Drago
10-16-2003, 10:23 AM
Hi. I'm real new at KNOPPIX although I have plenty of experience with DOS (I remember when 2.1 came out) and Windows.

I ran hdinstall but didn't install LILO because I didn't know what it would do to my system. Now I have installed Smart Boot Manager and I'd really like to boot KNOPPIX from the menu.

I've been wrestling with liloconfig all night. It didn't like COMPACT, and when I pounded that I got this message:

Fatal: Filesystem would be destroyed by LILO boot sector: /dev/hda5

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

rneff
10-16-2003, 02:16 PM
It sounds to me that Smart Boot Manager is a boot loader that you are trying to use instead of lilo. If this is the case, then there is no reason to run liloconfig to install lilo, you simply have to setup knoppix inthe Smart Boot Manager. In fact running liloconfig would probably rewrite the Smart Boot Manager that you have installed.

Drago
10-17-2003, 07:17 AM
This Smart boot manager is supposed to be OS-independent, and Windows has an MBR on the hard disk. I just have to build a partition that it will recognize. Probably bootable, except that there are a few items in the menu that aren't bootable.

I suppose I can always delete the KNOPPIX partition and start again - I don't really have any data on it.

Drago
10-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Now I'm in trouble - FDISK isn't recognizing the KNOPPIX LINUX native partition as a logical drive, and refuses to delete the extended partition because there is a logical drive on it. I guess this means that I have to get KNOPPIX to boot after all. So I need your help. Meanwhile I can continue to boot from the floppy that I made during hdinstall.

Thanks,
Steve

Drago
10-17-2003, 03:50 PM
Just had an idea - can you delete a partition (that KNOPPIX is installed on) from within KNOPPIX? I can boot from the CD.

Drago
10-18-2003, 06:44 AM
I ran Ranish Partition Manager and made the partition LINUX extf2 like the logical drive that I installed KNOPPIX on. Have to see what that does.