PDA

View Full Version : Really buggered up install - no floppies, win2k & knoppi

anhedonic
10-16-2003, 10:29 AM
Okay
hda1 : entirley NTFS, cant resize due to ntuser.dat.LOG at the very end, space defragged numerous times.
hdb1 : fat32 resized, has alot of my files on it
hdb2 : ext3 partition with knoppix installed on it (partitioned with sudo qtparted)

Now for the FuN! -_-

sudo rebuildfstab -r -v #
export IGNORE_CHECK=1
sudo knoppix-installer

1) Installed with lilo going with the partition, rebooted, booted to windows 2000... =/
2) Was told lilo will handle dual boot, installed over the top, with lilo going to my boot record.
Rebooted and came up with 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 (or something along those lines) cannot boot to anything now. (im now using livecd)
3) repartitioned ext3 and did clean install ... cant rmemeber what i did for the lilo thing..left home, came back and konsole said:

Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not exist, disk scan bypassed
Warning: The boot sector and map file are on different disks.
Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible
Warning: BIOS drive 0x82 may not be accessible

Is there anyway i can install grub from knoppix livecd or somehow repair the damage (i have no floppies, i dont care if i cant boot to windows2000 ..for now.)
I do have windows 2000 proffessional cd.

If theres any other info yo uneed ot help me fix please ask.

*I CAN GO BUY FLOPPIES
** I HAVE BLANK CD'S

CivilEng
10-16-2003, 11:17 AM
I've heard of this problem happening to older Compaq computers, which had there bios in software at the start of the HD, hence, if you installed lilo to the MBR, you overwrote the bios.

You wouldn't happen to be running a Compaq, would you? If you are, go to their website, download the bios utility for your machine, and use a boot disk to access Linux.

Now, another possibility is that the BIOS is not recognized (not good) or some such BIOS related error. A nice fix which apparently works well is to reboot using a Linux boot disk (you did make one as was recommended by the install script, right?) and then at a shell propt (as root to be on the safe side) type:

# /sbin/lilo -l -v

This will cause lilo to run in linear mode (-l) and show you everything it's donig (-v). Make sure you save the output to a file and if you're still having problems, post it up here for us to take a look at for you.

Good Luck,

Civ

anhedonic
10-16-2003, 11:33 AM
No im not running a compaq

i didnt have and dont have floppies atm so no i didnt create a boot disk...
i shall be obtaining one(a floppy) from a friend tommoz

... i have a bone disease that prevents me from buying a box of floppies =P

rneff
10-16-2003, 02:12 PM
The problem is definatley with your MBR. You need to rewrite it. YOu can rewrite it fromthe LIve CD, you dont need a floppy.

I have had similar problems iwth lilo and knoppix-hd-install. Try installing grub instead of lilo. From the knoppix cd you can type grub-install.

anhedonic
10-18-2003, 05:13 AM
this has been resolved thank-you