PDA

View Full Version : myhome/myconfig - what's the diff?

zkosty
10-16-2003, 06:28 PM
Can somebody tell me what actually is the difference between saving the KNOPPIX configuration and saving the persistent home directory? I figured the /home saves all files in that directory but there are also .configuration files so why would I then need the saveconfig?
I was actually looking for a way to save some impotrant files such as /etc/passwd, /etc/inittab and so on.
I tried to look in various DOC and FAQ online but I cannot find any description of what actually is saved using these functions.
Thanks
zkosty

rneff
10-17-2003, 05:37 PM
If you are talking about a situation where you boot from the CD each time, then you are not going to be able to really save any changes.

bobble
10-20-2003, 09:40 PM
Wrong. You can save all you want (!)

I think that the Persistent Home Directory saves all that goes into the users Home directory, and I *think* saving the Knoppix config is files that normally goes elsewhere.

bobble
10-20-2003, 09:55 PM
...... the saveconfig saves the config file "knoppix.sh" (which is a script and a short one on my system). (The knoppix.sh on the cdrom loads too with this att boot)

zkosty
10-22-2003, 06:13 PM
Well, after saving the config, inspecting my hard drive, I find these 2 files: knoppix.sh file of 462 bytes, and configs.tbz file of 242104 bytes. Reading the text in knoppix.sh, apparently this script only causes the system to read the larger file, configs.tbz.
My question now is, what kind of information is stored in the .tbz file?
And my original, persisting question is: can I save configuration files from the /etc directory, such as etc/passwd, etc/hosts and so on?
thank you !
zkosty