PDA

View Full Version : F'ed by Xp "Thanks a bunch peter"

Paper_Sack
10-17-2003, 07:58 AM
Somehow Xp is screwed up on my system. Dont really know how but will not boot. Anyhow I am using knoppix 3.2 to view my HD and was wondering if there is a CD-Burner avalible. I am looking to write a few gigs to Cd's and reinstall the OS. Any help would be great.

"Thanks a bunch peter", you should find out what movie this is from and watch it.

Paper_Sack
10-17-2003, 08:12 AM
Just found out how dumb i was. All these programs have descriptions, not k3b, but i found it.

"peter! ...whaaats hapening.... ummmm yeeaaahhh..i'm gonna need to go ahead and come in on saterday....yeeaahh...we lost a few people and we need to kinda play catch up.

Paper_Sack
10-17-2003, 08:34 AM
I have a burner but how do i select it? Box on k3b doesnt show it. Do I need to tell k3b it is there via other means?

stukennedyuk
10-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Not sure this will help but there is a K3b setup. One thing once you have located your burner is to make sure you specify (perhaps) 'generic-mmc' instead of 'auto' as the 'cdrdao driver'.

Finally, my k3b wouldn't find/work with the latest version of cdrdao, so I downloaded (and downgraded) to an earlier version and it works, some kind of bug you might find more info on elsewhere.

Cheers, Stu.....

Paper_Sack
10-17-2003, 09:56 AM
I was able to get it running. Losing a gig of personal files is frieghtening. Was able to burn using k3b.

I was thinking about backing up a week ago...should have seems I had a premenition.

thx for the help Knoppix community.

mightydavefish
10-18-2003, 06:38 PM
I know it's too late to help you now, but in the future keep all your data on a separate partition from the one your OS is on. It is a practice that has saved my ass a dozen times. That way if your OS gets hosed you just reinstall and don't have to worry about losing data.