PDA

View Full Version : Sending faxes to remote hylafax server

pooh_
10-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Hi all,

I have knoppix 3.3 installed on my laptop (hd install).
Now I want to send faxes using kdeprintfax. I configured the kdeprintfax util to use a remote hylafax server, but when I press send it gives me the following error:

-----------------
Sending fax via /usr/bin/sendfax -n -h '192.168.2.1' -x '' -c '' -f '' -d ''@'1234567890' '/tmp/kde-user/kdeprint_GooExCG'

/bin/bash: line 1: /usr/bin/sendfax: No such file or directory
------------------

Now does this mean I should have a local sendfax that talks to the remote sendfax on the hylafax server?

Do you have an idea?

TIA

rneff
10-17-2003, 02:12 PM
I am not exactly sure how this program is supposed to work, but i would say to try getting "sendfax".

apt-get install sendfax

pooh_
10-17-2003, 02:38 PM
apt-get install sendfax

Nope, not found...

But I do not know if I really need a local sendfax on my laptop.

Basically the question/problem is:

1. Is a local sendfax on my laptop needed to communicate with a remote hylafax server?
2. Is the error messages initiated by my laptop or by the remote hylafax server?

Thanks for any advise.

pooh_
10-17-2003, 03:46 PM
Ok, I found it...

By default there is nos sendfax bundeled with knoppix, and using knoppix as a fax client to Hylafax you need it plus a few other files. This is what I did:

My Hylafax server is a RedHat distro. I copied the following files to my laptop: (as root)

/usr/bin/sendfax
/usr/lib/libfaxutil.so

Created the directory /etc/hylafax and copied:

/etc/hylafax/pagesizes
/etc/hylafax/typerules

...and it simply works. I did not change any defaults on the kdeprintfax command line presented by the system. No other fiddling was needed ;-)

I guess the above files have to come from the hylafax server to match exact same versions. Haven't tested other versions yet.

I hope it's usefull to others :-)

Thanks for the attention.