PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix not DHCPing (?)

satoshi
10-17-2003, 08:14 PM
Hi, I'm new to the Knoppix board and Knoppix itself, but I've been using DamnSmallLinux (http://www.DamnSmallLinux.org) for a while now. When I got a new motherboard in my mom's machine, DSL all of a sudden couldn't sync up or whatever with the net card. It kept saying eth0: link up and then finally gave up. That was with v4.5. It still does it with v4.8. I got Knoppix, to see if it would have the same problem or not, and it does, however it doesn't hang on the netcard part for a while and then give up. It does the whole DHCP and backgrounding part, but it instantly moves on to the next step, faster than if DSL had found the net card. I'm also having this problem in my machine. The motherboards in both machines are MSI. They're different chipsets, I think. Mine is VIA KT133A Chipset Based, but I dunno what my mom's is right now (I'm at my dad's, where my machine is). I know for a fact, however, that both motherboards do not have nForce support or anything like that. I tried using th 'knoppix nosmp' boot option, but all that did was get rid of the "Error: Only one processor found" error upon start up (both machines). Any help would be appreciated, I've already posted this at the DSL forums, but I havn't recieved much help from them..

rneff
10-17-2003, 08:47 PM
Does linux detect your network card once booted?

satoshi
10-17-2003, 08:50 PM
? Elaborate.. I tried running the netcard config thing, it asks me if i wanna use DHCP, I hit yes, it sits, errors, quits. If i hit no, it quits anyway. I can't go out to the net, sign on AIM, or anything.

rneff
10-17-2003, 08:55 PM
Does ifconfig list any interfaces?

satoshi
10-17-2003, 10:27 PM
Well, when I type ifconfig in the console, this is what it outputs:

lo Link encap: Local Loobpack
inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
Up LoppBack RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric: 1
RX Packets: 48 errors: 0 dropped:0 frame: 0
TX Packets: 48 errors: 0 dropped:0 frame: 0
collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 0
RX bytes: 2400 (2.3KiB) TX bytes: 2400(2.3KiB)

This was on my mom's machine, which is also an MSI motherboard, but it's SiS 745 Chipset based.

satoshi
10-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Yay! I got it to work! I just had to use the nopcmcia option to boot it. It works fine. Thanks for trying to help though, I appreciate it.