PDA

View Full Version : Need scsi.o and sd.o for KNOPPIX kernel 2.4.22-xfs

SUOrangeman
10-18-2003, 12:58 AM
For a little more background: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25463

I'm trying to install KNOPPIX to my nift WD Raptor hard drive. I am currently using a Promise SATA150 TX4 controller card, which is not directly supported. Promise has released the source code of a Linux driver and I have managed to get it compiled.

With the modules-disk cheatcode in KNOPPIX 3.3, I am hoping that I can just put this driver on a floppy and have KNOPPIX pick it up during boot, so that it detects my hard drive. According the the driver's README, I need to load scsi.o and sd.o before I attempt to load the module for this controller.

Looking at the kernel config file, I see (:/boot/config-2.4.22-xfs)

# SCSI support
CONFIG_SCSI=y

# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

I haven't compiled a kernel is quite some time. Is it safe to assume that these two settings control the "destiny" of scsi.o and sd.o? That is, can I assume these drivers are built into the kernel (=y)and not built as modules(=m)? What is my best option for getting the scsi.o and sd.o files I need to load my controller driver?/boot/config-2.4.22-xfs

Thanks in advance!

-SUO

Dave_Bechtel
10-18-2003, 06:44 PM
--You are correct, those two features will be hardwired into the kernel rather than loaded as modules. Now all you have to do with experiment with the modules-disk cheatcode. If you can't get anywhere with it, you could try emailing Klaus, but I'd use that only as a last resort.

For a little more background: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=25463

I'm trying to install KNOPPIX to my nift WD Raptor hard drive. I am currently using a Promise SATA150 TX4 controller card, which is not directly supported. Promise has released the source code of a Linux driver and I have managed to get it compiled.

With the modules-disk cheatcode in KNOPPIX 3.3, I am hoping that I can just put this driver on a floppy and have KNOPPIX pick it up during boot, so that it detects my hard drive. According the the driver's README, I need to load scsi.o and sd.o before I attempt to load the module for this controller.

Looking at the kernel config file, I see (:/boot/config-2.4.22-xfs)

# SCSI support
CONFIG_SCSI=y

# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y

I haven't compiled a kernel is quite some time. Is it safe to assume that these two settings control the "destiny" of scsi.o and sd.o? That is, can I assume these drivers are built into the kernel (=y)and not built as modules(=m)? What is my best option for getting the scsi.o and sd.o files I need to load my controller driver?/boot/config-2.4.22-xfs

Thanks in advance!

-SUO

SUOrangeman
10-19-2003, 02:10 PM
With the module for my controller and the modules-disk cheat code, my hard drive wasn't detected. I'll go back to my HD-installed machine at work and just compile the key kernel directories to get scsi.o and sd.o as modules. I ultimately need to get these files in an initrd, so I'm not sure if having support built into a kernel will help me.

-SUO

arkaoss
10-29-2003, 02:55 AM
this is just a point, and i maybe pointing out something you know, sorry. But it's something i thought might be important.
I've noticed, i think.. that they run "ide as scsi" drivers for some devices maybe that is something that could be used to call your promise drivers? also i guess you've realized how diff versions of the knoppix kernel are compressed with diff versions of Cloop.. at least an older version I was trying to re-master had that problem, I had to de-compress it with older cloop's.