PDA

View Full Version : Printing to Win Box on network

rusty
10-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Wondering if possible to print to a printer hanging off a Windows PC on the network. LinNeighborhood sees the PC and the printer, I just can't find a way to make it the defaul printer for Knoppix.

Links, howtos much appreciated....

rusty
10-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Got this to work so I thought I'd post. I wanted to be able to print from a PC running Knoppix on a SOHO network to a PC running WinMe wth a Canon BJC4400 on LPT1. Tried messing with rlpr with out luck. Turns out to be easy if all the daemons are invoked.

1. Make sure the Win PC is on and printer can be shared.

2. Boot Knoppix from CD. Open root prompt and start cupsd, smbd and lisa.

3. Start LinNeighborhood to verify Knoppix can see WinPC and printer.

4. Start printing manager KNOPPIX>Configure>Configure Printer(s). Click Add then Add Printer/Class. Check SMB shared Printer.

Set up password if needed

On the next screen, click Scan and the PC then Printer.

The rest is basically just printer setup.

Hope this helps.

EPS
10-26-2003, 10:12 PM
If your Windows box is running NT, 2000, XP, or later, you could simply enable Print Services for Unix. Here are the steps for Win 2K:

Open the Control Panel
Open Add/Remove Programs
Select Add/Remove Windows Components
Scroll down to Other Network File and Print Services
Select it and click Details...
Check the box for Print Services for Unix
Click OK
Click Next >
Click Finish
Close Add/Remove Programs
Open Programs : Administrative Tools : Services
Scroll down to TCP/IP Print Server
Right-click on it and select Properties
Change Startup type from Manual to Automatic and click Apply
Click Start
Click OK
Close Services

Now you only need cupsd on the KNOPPIX side. Add a new printer using LPR/LPD protocol; you will need to know the IP address of the Windows box and the printer's share name (= LPD queue name).

tealeaf
11-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Another idea:
http://localhost:631 (the cups admin system)
go to configuration, add printer, follows then screen prompts until it asks you to choose the network printer type.
Select windows samba printer then when prompted for the uri, type in:
uri:
smb://username:password@windowsmachine/sharedprintername

Don't forget to save your knoppix settings afterward.

turbine
11-30-2003, 06:34 AM
My problem is so similar to this that I thought I could express it as a reply here rather than as a new topic. I too am trying to print to a winbox that has an hp deskjet 3420 shared printer. My knoppix box sees that printer on the lan after doing a scan and I select the driver and do a config. I print a test page. Nothing happens at the printer. At the winbox I can see the print job queued at the printer, but it just doesn't print.

Now, if I boot the winbox having the printer as Knoppix and install the printer as local on the usb, everything prints just fine.

Any suggestions all?

lyonh
11-14-2004, 06:37 PM
Hi,

I had the same problem and solved it by enabling spooling on my XP printer.

:)