PDA

View Full Version : turn on hard drive dma at boot

m_yates
10-18-2003, 07:06 PM
During bootup, I get a warning from fsck saying hard drive dma is turned off and fsck will be very slow. The "bootmisc.sh" script turns on DMA, but apparently this is done after the "checkfs.sh" script that runs the fsck check. I haven't had to run fsck yet, but I'd like to correct the problem. Does anyone know how to turn on dma BEFORE fsck is run during boot up?

Stephen
10-18-2003, 10:32 PM
During bootup, I get a warning from fsck saying hard drive dma is turned off and fsck will be very slow. The "bootmisc.sh" script turns on DMA, but apparently this is done after the "checkfs.sh" script that runs the fsck check. I haven't had to run fsck yet, but I'd like to correct the problem. Does anyone know how to turn on dma BEFORE fsck is run during boot up?

That's a useless error warning if you are really concerned you can install hwtools IIRC and then edit the /etc/init.d/hwtools file that will be created and the dma will get started earlier.

m_yates
10-19-2003, 12:58 AM
Thank you for the answer. I guess I won't worry about it, but now I know what to do to change things.

buneyha
10-26-2003, 01:15 PM
so how do you fix this error?

I have hdparm in bootmisc.sh
but it loads after like you said.

Stephen
10-26-2003, 05:47 PM
so how do you fix this error?

I have hdparm in bootmisc.sh
but it loads after like you said.

I've already said in the post above to be perfectly clear.

apt-get install hwtools next you would vi /etc/init.d/hwtools then uncomment the appropriate lines and comment out the lines in the bootmisc.sh then it gets started a little earlier.