PDA

View Full Version : Loading correct sound drivers at startup

eracerbit
10-18-2003, 10:25 PM
I am running a Knoppix hdd install on an IBM 390z laptop. Sound can be configured correctly by executing the following commands:

modprobe sound
modprobe ad1848
modprobe uart401
insmod cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

My question is, how can these lines or similar be inserted into a startup script, or otherwise executed on system startup so that sound is always configured correctly and i don't have to do it manually every time?

Stephen
10-18-2003, 10:52 PM
I am running a Knoppix hdd install on an IBM 390z laptop. Sound can be configured correctly by executing the following commands:

modprobe sound
modprobe ad1848
modprobe uart401

My question is, how can these lines or similar be inserted into a startup script, or otherwise executed on system startup so that sound is always configured correctly and i don't have to do it manually every time?

Create a file as root in the /etc/modutils directory called sound in it have the contents:

## Added by me for sound card
modprobe sound
modprobe ad1848
modprobe uart401

Then update-modules and check in /etc/modules.conf and you should see your newly created file's contents in the modules.conf and it will now be loaded at boot.

eracerbit
10-19-2003, 06:26 AM
Thanks Stephen, but it doesn't work.

I get an "invalid line in modules.conf" error at startup and when executing modprobe from a shell.

I also tried sbin/modprobe and sbin/insmod. Also grepping the etc/modutils for "insmod" did not return anything except comments. Is there another startup script where i could use modprobe and insmod?

Stephen
10-19-2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks Stephen, but it doesn't work.

I get an "invalid line in modules.conf" error at startup and when executing modprobe from a shell.

I also tried sbin/modprobe and sbin/insmod. Also grepping the etc/modutils for "insmod" did not return anything except comments. Is there another startup script where i could use modprobe and insmod?

You could always put the lines in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh at the bottom of the file. It seems strange though that should be the correct way to do it which module is it failing on when you modprobe? Are you sure you are not making a typo because if it worked as in your first post it should still work. And now that I'm thinking about it in the first post did you have it working with those comands?

eracerbit
10-19-2003, 07:19 AM
You could always put the lines in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh at the bottom of the file.
same errors.

which module is it failing on when you modprobe?
modprobe soundcore. i know it should already be loaded but it shouldn't throw an error anyway (it wasn't when i tried loading it twice before)

Are you sure you are not making a typo because if it worked as in your first post it should still work.
pretty sure. does this file have different syntax than just executing commands from a shell? is it possible that these commands are not in the 'path' or the linux equiv. of path?

And now that I'm thinking about it in the first post did you have it working with those comands?
yah it worked when i entered it like that in a shell, before i added those lines to that script. now modprobe just gives invalid line errors on those line numbers...

RockMumbles
10-19-2003, 11:50 PM
what happens if you just do this:

modprobe cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

does your sound work? I would think that it would. If it does then...

I think your /etc/modutils/sound file should be:

## Added by me for sound card
alias sound-0 cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

(this should be all on one line)

then try this:

update-modules-modutils

now see if when you reboot your sound works.

HTH

~rock