PDA

View Full Version : KDE 3.1 + Windowmanager Poll

monkymind
01-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Am I the only one that was eagerly awaiting the release of KDE 3.1???

The only news of its offical release I've seen so far is on Freshmeat and an unoffical one at OSNews. :?

Anyway here are some screenshots for those who might be curious
http://www.kde.org/screenshots/kde310shots.html

Knoppix and KDE 3.1 will make an awesome combo. Woohoo!

rob

eadz
01-28-2003, 11:06 AM
More screenshots :
http://promo.kde.org/3.1/screenshots.php
and a *great* kde feature guide :
http://promo.kde.org/3.1/feature_guide.php

Yes knoppix with kde 3.1 will rock! I am remastering one now, there are not .debs for sid yet, and the woody ones dont work properly on sid ( really only sound thats the problem )

eviscerate
01-28-2003, 06:00 PM
When I add the KDE 3.1 apt source, it wants to remove almost all of the KDE packages when doing apt-get -s dist-upgrade. This is on the latest version of Knoppix - Jan 20, I think. I have downgraded gcc to version 2.95.4 from 3.21, what else do I need to do in order to upgrade. Thanks.

John
01-29-2003, 04:38 AM
While I think KDE is beautiful, and it is one of Linux's strongest selling points for converts it is not for me. I am not into eye candy sucking up my memory. I love the simplicity and use efficiency of a tight window manager, and tabs rock.
Honestly, I avoid Qt based apps because of their overhead.

monkymind
01-29-2003, 06:30 AM
While I think KDE is beautiful, and it is one of Linux's strongest selling points for converts it is not for me. I am not into eye candy sucking up my memory. I love the simplicity and use efficiency of a tight window manager, and tabs rock.
Honestly, I avoid Qt based apps because of their overhead.

Have you setup Knoppix to boot into another WM? Do you normally use a fluxbox/mozilla arrangement or something faster?

I've found since handing out Knoppix CDs to friends the eye candy makes the biggest impact. KDE 3.1 will be even more impressive in that department.

The other thing I was curious about was how many people simply hit enter or just let Knoppix boot into the default desktop.

Years ago on a P75 WindowMaker was my everyday WM alternating periodically with Icewm. (There was no Blackbox or Fluxbox then) :-)

But now when I boot Knoppix it's always with the KDE desktop. My HD Linux is another matter. Rox-Filer + Icewm is still my favourite combo for speed and lazyness 8)

Cheers
rob

John
01-29-2003, 10:01 AM
Yeah, I did a 209M remaster that boots right into Fluxbox. I used Phoenix because it is a smaller package than Mozilla. If I were less concerned with room and more concerned with speed I think I'd use Skipstone instead -- it uses less memory.

As far as using Knoppix to convert people to Linux, I have had no success. I think most people are stuck in their ways.

gcoker
02-03-2003, 11:43 PM
Absolutely the best part of Linux is that NOT one size fits all. Everyone can get what they need, or what each of us thinks we need, no matter if that is pseudo-Win, minimalist or something else. No one has to accept what someone on high thinks is "best." I can choose among a large number of kernels. And some pretty good software. Knoppix is not perfect, but I really enjoy using it. To assemble such a package, decisions have to be made. With a Linux package, I can adjust the decisions so that the system changes into what I actually need.

Certainly, the differences in windows managers reflects this freedom.

My goodness, when I run M$, I can have any wallpaper I choose! Big difference!

audioaficionado
02-04-2003, 04:34 AM
Right now I'm using KDE3 default. I tried some of the other WMs but I'm too new to get my HDs mounted so I can grab some wallpaper. KDE3 has the HDs right on the desktop at startup. When I get more Linux knowlege, I'll try out some of the others. My older PPro200 SMP box would appreciate the recuced code. However, while running SMP, KDE3 doesn't seem to slow me down too much as I have the equivalent of a PII 360 now.

As for converting windoze slaves to Linux, it's a tough row to hoe. My geekiest friend stubbornly won't even consider it. He says he likes XPpro and IE6 and he simply won't run any thing else on his box.

Knewbie
02-14-2003, 01:50 AM
Would anyone care to comment on the merits of the other window managers available on the Knoppix CD? I've tried them all*, but only briefly. So far, I haven't seen anything that encouraged me to wean myself away from KDE.

Coming from Windows, I find KDE comfortably familiar, but I don't doubt that it suffers from bloat. I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts in Windows, and I'd like to be able to do the same thing in Knoppix. For instance, KDE's K menu does not support initial-leter navigation. Are there any window managers that provide this sort of keyboard access?

*For some reason, I can't get Knoppix to use Gnome, but I was able to try Gnome with the heavy gui version of Morphix.