PDA

View Full Version : SETI@Home

dmedici
10-19-2003, 03:59 AM
Trying to install Seti to Knoppix. Got Knoppix on the HD. When saving to my /home directory, the Copy Files progress window hangs for a long time, then I get an error:

Access denied
Could not write to /home/setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.part

I saw some SETI questions when I did a search but they seemed to be more 'off the live disc'-related.

Anyone with experience in SETI/Knoppix?

Thanks in advance!

Stephen
10-19-2003, 04:07 AM
Trying to install Seti to Knoppix. Got Knoppix on the HD. When saving to my /home directory, the Copy Files progress window hangs for a long time, then I get an error:

Access denied
Could not write to /home/setiathome-3.08.i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.part

I saw some SETI questions when I did a search but they seemed to be more 'off the live disc'-related.

Anyone with experience in SETI/Knoppix?

Thanks in advance!

It runs all day long on my computer. How are you trying to copy it looks like there is a permission error and it is trying to write to the actual /home directory instead of /home/user_name directory try saving it in there.

BTW I moved this to the Lounge this is not really Knoppix related.

dmedici
10-19-2003, 04:45 AM
Thanks for your quick reply!

Can you elaborate a little more on the home/username directory?
I'm reading as fast as I can :D but I'm still confused on the directory layouts. Can you give me the exact path or roughly the path to where you put your files?

Stephen
10-19-2003, 05:11 AM
Thanks for your quick reply!

Can you elaborate a little more on the home/username directory?
I'm reading as fast as I can :D but I'm still confused on the directory layouts. Can you give me the exact path or roughly the path to where you put your files?

What is called your home directory is actually a sub-directory in /home for example mine would be /home/stephen and if I saved the seti file to my home the path would be /home/stephen/seti_file.

arkaine23
10-19-2003, 06:00 AM
I included seti@home, folding@home, and prime-net distributed computing clients in my reasmter, Overclockix. There are also several scripts so that you can run one-word commands to start/stop, switch user information, and view progress of these clients.