PDA

View Full Version : At Witts End !

LarryJ1234
10-19-2003, 02:05 PM
Ok, Been at this for two weeks now.Done lots of reading,printing,and trying! I'm new at this stuff,So let me give you the info.I'm trying to used Knoppix 3.2 on CD.Can not set up internet connection.Went toMy windows internet connection and says My card is a Microsoft PCI Adapter MN-130.I'm also using a Moterola SB 4200 Surfboard Cable modem to connect to internet.Now,When I open console window and enter netcardconfig,comes back no support found.When I enter ifconfig eth0 comes back,error fetching interface information: device not found When I ping 216.239.39.99 getPing:sendto network is unreachable.Getting Help from comcast Is a laugh.Would really like to try Knoppixbut just cann't get it ,I'm a rookie at all this computer stuff.Please help!Thank You

LarryJ1234
10-20-2003, 02:14 PM
Well,Guess nobody can help or I've confussed a lot of you! If you need more info I can!

catfish
10-20-2003, 04:11 PM
It sounds like the linux driver for the network card is not being loaded or there is a (interrupt?) conflict. Personally I have no experience with a Microsoft MN-130 (and a search on driverguide returned 0 results for it). A couple of things to check:
o is a driver even being loaded (use lsmod and review the output for anything that looks like it might be associated with the nic - knowing the nic chip would help)
o check the startup messages (dmesg) for any errors/warnings
o check the IRQ the nic uses in windows and then check the IRQ assignments in linux
o try disabling various feature/functions when booting the CD (e.g., noapic)
o try a different nic (with known linux support) in the machine

Good luck.