PDA

View Full Version : Help - can't get LINUX partition to show up in boot program

Drago
10-19-2003, 05:54 PM
I am at my wit's end. I shrunk my Widnows 98se partition (whole hd) and created a new partition. ran knx-hdinstall from a how-to text which changed the new partition to LINUX. It is showing up in FDISK as a non-DOS partition, but the multi-boot program is supposed to be OS-independent. In FDISK it has no drive letter. It is not showing up in the multi-boot program. I had a logical drive on the new partition which didn't work either.

Anyone know what the problem is or can direct me to a different how-to or other documentation?

Thanks.

rickenbacherus
10-19-2003, 07:46 PM
I am at my wit's end. I shrunk my Widnows 98se partition (whole hd) and created a new partition. ran knx-hdinstall from a how-to text which changed the new partition to LINUX. It is showing up in FDISK as a non-DOS partition, but the multi-boot program is supposed to be OS-independent.

What? Not even a hint as to what this mysterious multi-boot program is?

In FDISK it has no drive letter.

DOS fdisk or LInux fdisk?

It is not showing up in the multi-boot program. I had a logical drive on the new partition which didn't work either.

Whether or not the drive was primary or logical is irrelevant.

Anyone know what the problem is or can direct me to a different how-to or other documentation?

Thanks.

When you did the installation did you install LiLo anywhere? If you want to use another boot app then you need to install LiLo to your /root device.

Here's the deal- LiLo, or Smart Boot Manger or whatever is only the first stage. It simply points to the partition that needs to be booted. So, boot the Knoppix cd, mount your /root partition, chroot to that partition, edit /etc/lilo.conf and then /sbin/lilo.

If you need more detailed instructions, there are posts here about how to re-install lilo if you use the seach function.

Something you might want to consider (although it is not mandatory) is creating a swap partition. Also- there is a new installer

sudo knoppix-installer

There is a partitioning how-to in the hdinstall part of the forum too- I am just too lazy to post the link.

Drago
10-20-2003, 08:54 AM
Thanks, the booter I'm using is in fact Smart something-or-other, available at SourceForge. I'll try following your directions.

Steve