PDA

View Full Version : Kernel compile problem - first Knoppix kernel compile

Nigel_Tufnel
10-19-2003, 06:04 PM
I attempted to compile kernel 2.4.22 using the standard Debian kernel compile method. It appears that on the bootup the kernel is still picking up the modules from 2.4.20-xfs. Do I need to change one of my init scripts or am I foretting something? I have done several kernel compiles in Debian so I'm pretty experienced doing them. Do I need to do something different because it's Knoppix?
Thanks in advance.

Stephen
10-19-2003, 11:29 PM
I attempted to compile kernel 2.4.22 using the standard Debian kernel compile method. It appears that on the bootup the kernel is still picking up the modules from 2.4.20-xfs. Do I need to change one of my init scripts or am I foretting something? I have done several kernel compiles in Debian so I'm pretty experienced doing them. Do I need to do something different because it's Knoppix?
Thanks in advance.

By standard Debian method do you mean make-kpkg to make a kernel package? If so it should just work when you install the .deb and reboot. The only thing I could think of it would be doing is if you built with initrd and it is still using the old knoppix one.

Nigel_Tufnel
10-20-2003, 01:09 PM
I think I know what the problem is. After reading through the tips and tricks forum I found the thread started by rickenbacherus:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3029
The step I didn't do:
make-kpkg --initrd --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image modules

*NOTE* adding the modules target to the above line is critical or your new kernel will fail to boot because the existing modules were compiled for 2.4.20xfs instead of 2.4.21 Also it eliminates making another kpkg and installing another kpkg.

You normally don't have to do this for Debian. I'll recompile and let you know how it goes.
Thanks