PDA

View Full Version : Morphix gamemod

Alextreme
01-28-2003, 04:00 PM
Hating replying on myself, i guessed i could just as well start off a new thread :D

I've uploaded the gamemod-ISO (400MB!), after someone came up with the idea of a iso filled with the latest and greatest OS games (+Galeon). I must note (again) that it's quite new, the (icewm) menu is far from complete and 3D acceleration might be absent for most systems.

I'll put up package lists soon, so anyone can comment on the collection of gamerlamer-timewasting software. Everyone will probably miss his or her fav game, but if you bug me enough we might get a iso that would look good and provide endless entertainment for pc's free-software style!

Just remember that it's a huge download! (well, i think it is)

bhsx
01-28-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm trying to use your morphix lgui iso as a base for a bit of remastering. A couple of questions have popped-up:
1) How do I get to a root console? When I try to go to tty1 the system reboots.
2) Why does it seem that apt-get install/remove has so many broken packages? Is it just me? I seem to have this problem when remastering any of the knoppix CDs. Is there a better sources.list I could use or is this simply a matter of apt not being as user-friendly as all the deb-heads would have you believe?
3) When remastering other knoppix CDs I've had major problems when trying to switch default WM to fluxbox (or anything besides KDE). I was told in another thread that someone had overcome the "could not find kdeinit" errors by using your startx from KnopNL. How did you do it? What files did you edit and where?
4) How would one launch a persistant app after launching the WM? For example launching Phoenix with a startpage of http://localhost? (I've seen this done with gxmame on the knoppixMAME iso.

Thanks for everything you've done so far.
Morphix looks to be quite exciting; the notion of picking and choosing mods to burn in multisession CDs is extremely innnovative.

bhsx
01-28-2003, 10:14 PM
5) What's the root passwd, or are you running with no passwords?

Alextreme
01-28-2003, 11:21 PM
I'm trying to use your morphix lgui iso as a base for a bit of remastering. A couple of questions have popped-up:
1) How do I get to a root console? When I try to go to tty1 the system reboots.
2) Why does it seem that apt-get install/remove has so many broken packages? Is it just me? I seem to have this problem when remastering any of the knoppix CDs. Is there a better sources.list I could use or is this simply a matter of apt not being as user-friendly as all the deb-heads would have you believe?
3) When remastering other knoppix CDs I've had major problems when trying to switch default WM to fluxbox (or anything besides KDE). I was told in another thread that someone had overcome the "could not find kdeinit" errors by using your startx from KnopNL. How did you do it? What files did you edit and where?
4) How would one launch a persistant app after launching the WM? For example launching Phoenix with a startpage of http://localhost? (I've seen this done with gxmame on the knoppixMAME iso.

1)
you don't (sorry!). The whole point was creating a GUI, well-protected and secure for network/desktop usage. However, in the recent versions i've included sudo with the NOPASSWD option so popping up a terminal and typing sudo gives you the equivalent of running as root (you could also sudo /bin/bash, saves typing :))

none of the mainmods have passwords set, so you can't login. However, making a mini-module that sets the password could be a possibility...

2)
well, you'll have to update first! one of the tricks in thinning down the size was by removing all packagelists. dselect, then chose option 1 to update, that should work. You might want to change the default /etc/apt/sources.list, i think it might point to my local debmirror (but it shouldn't!), to something like:

deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib

I'll check it out and change it if it really does point to my mirror.
And about APT being user-friendly, well, it needs getting used to ;)

3)
for KnopNL edit /etc/init.d/xsession. in lGUI edit /morphix/init.sh. I didn't edit anything else, afaik

4)
again check out xsession or init.sh depending on which distro you're modding. Both check if X is running, both set the background in about the same way. DISPLAY=:0 command & to start something. Easy huh? :P Hmm, starting with Phoenix accessing a local webpage is a nice idea, but the startuptime is quite large. Then again, i want everything to be blazing-fast :)

5)
See 1 :D