PDA

View Full Version : Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk

keava
10-19-2003, 08:42 PM
i have an old laptop which the cdrom is not bootable, can someone point me to some docs or directions or post them on how/if i can boot the knoppix disk with lilo/lilo bootdisk/ or grub bootdisk, no i do not want to hdinstall or put it on the hd, its for rescue purposes of a debian system

thanks keava

eddieb495
10-19-2003, 10:00 PM
OK, I've only had a live knoppix disk for about 2 weeks (no Linux experience at all), but this may do the trick ...
IF your laptop has both a floppy and cd rom drive accessable simultainiously you should be able to boot from the floppy drive which will (in turn) find your cd rom at boot-up and load Knoppix as usual.
I made the boot-floppy on a Windows PC as follows:
Place the Knoppix cd in your already running Win-PC and an empty, formatted floppy into thier respective drives.

Open a DOS Box and and change directory to your cd rom drive. Then "cd" to the knoppix directory. The prompt should now be D:/knoppix (assuming "D" is the cd rom drive).

At that prompt, typ the following: mkfloppy.bat - and hit enter.

Now you place both that floppy and the Knoppix cd into your Laptop and re-boot. I did this successfully on my main PC in order to use the 2nd, non-bootable CD-RW drive to to load Knoppix. Hope this works for you. Good luck. :wink:

keava
10-20-2003, 12:55 AM
hmm ill try using an image off the disk, i dont run any MS software so i will have to do it from debian or openbsd, thanks

Dave_Bechtel
10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
--You make me proud. :) Piece of cake, just dd the boot.img to /dev/fd0.

hmm ill try using an image off the disk, i dont run any MS software so i will have to do it from debian or openbsd, thanks