PDA

View Full Version : creating a persistant home directory

matt2kjones
10-20-2003, 09:51 PM
OK i have the latest knoppix version downloaded but im having some major problems here.

i have an ext2 partition on hda1 of the size 1024MB
only other partitions i have are ntfs which is 59GB

anyway, when i was in knoppix i chose to create a persistant home directory, and it formatted /dev/hda1 just fine, and copied required data.

I then choose to save my knoppix configuration to that partition also (to save my network settings and such).

how i have a problem

i rebooted knoppix and run the following command at the prompt

knoppix home=/dev/hda1 myconfig=/dev/hda1

it starts up, and all my network settings and such are working.

BUT, when i save to /home/knoppix it DOESN'T save to the harddrive ???

/home/knoppix is still a ramdrive.

This is a big problem because i need to preform a 600MB download via knoppix, and when it saves to the RAM in the system, it crashes the system cos the O/S only has 256MB of physical memory.

i dont get why /home/knoppix doesn't save to the harddrive if i run knoppix home=/dev/hda1

am i doing something wrong.

also, if a save something to /home/knoppix, after reboot it has gone, so it is DEFFINENTLY not writting to the hard drive

any idea's?

thanx

kojak666
11-18-2003, 05:37 AM
i'm having the same problem, so if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate them too :D
Thanks
Phil

Franko
11-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Me too! :?
It is really frustrating when you cannot keep e-mails in the Mail folders... They should be located in the home directory which is on the ramdisk so everything in /home/ expires after reboot. And the Persistant Home doesn't work.

Please, someone, post a solution!

L2Cache
11-21-2003, 07:27 PM
You might try knoppix 3.2. I use that; and persistent home works.