PDA

View Full Version : USB Logitech mouse v1.10 on dell latitude d600 not working

dek
10-21-2003, 03:48 AM
i am not able to get my dell latitude d600 computer to recognize and use my logictech optical USB mouse. I have just done a apt-get upgrade, but it did not help. Below is some diagnostic output. I have searched the web and the archives, and there is no satisfactory solution to this problem that i have found. could somebody please point me to the right resource to fix this. thank you.

this 'dmesg' was performed right after plugging the mouse in. the system seems to recognize the mouse, but the mouse will not move.

root@iceboc:/# dmesg
hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1, assigned address 10
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Optical USB Mouse] on usb2:10.0
root@icebox:/#

root@icebox:/# uname -a
Linux icebox 2.4.22-xfs #1 SMP Fr Sep 19 17:55:45 CEST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux

Dave_Bechtel
10-21-2003, 09:12 PM
--If you want the mouse to work in text mode, you have to use gpm.
' gpm -m /dev/mouse -t imps2 ' - this is how it is for my system, you could also try /dev/input/mice

To get things working in X, you have to edit the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" "CorePointer"
# Serial Mouse not detected
# USB Mouse not detected
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "PS/2 Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
Option "Emulate3Timeout" "70"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "USB Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Buttons" "5"
EndSection

--In the ServerLayout section, change the ' InputDevice "PS/2 Mouse" ' to the "USB Mouse" identifier, then bounce X if it's running.

--I know it's a pain, and Windoze does this kind of thing automatically since like 1998, but oh well. The alternative is to boot the Knoppix CD with the mouse plugged in and the ' wheelmouse ' cheatcode, and copy the config file to HD. :) But this way you learn a little more.

i am not able to get my dell latitude d600 computer to recognize and use my logictech optical USB mouse. I have just done a apt-get upgrade, but it did not help. Below is some diagnostic output. I have searched the web and the archives, and there is no satisfactory solution to this problem that i have found. could somebody please point me to the right resource to fix this. thank you.

this 'dmesg' was performed right after plugging the mouse in. the system seems to recognize the mouse, but the mouse will not move.

root@iceboc:/# dmesg
hub.c: new USB device 00:1d.1-1, assigned address 10
input: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [Logitech Optical USB Mouse] on usb2:10.0

root@icebox:/# uname -a
Linux icebox 2.4.22-xfs #1 SMP Fr Sep 19 17:55:45 CEST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux