PDA

View Full Version : Documentation regarding Dell problem

dabrepus
10-22-2003, 09:54 AM
Yesterday I thought I had crashed two computers after using knopix. One was a Dell Dimension, the other a Dell Optiplex.

On rebooting after using knoppix exactly nothing happened! The computers seemed to be very dead. More dead than I've ever seen before, actually.

Quite scary, as none of the computers were mine.

Turns out that the problem was easy to fix, I just had to pull out the power cable for a few seconds, so everything is fine now.

But I REALLY REALLY REALLY think this problem should be in the FAQ/Documentation! (with large print..)

Dell is a very common brand, and this problem might actually give knoppix a bad reputation.

Other than that, knoppix rocks!!

dabrepus
10-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Wow, I noticed that the FAQ was in a wiki! So I added the question to the "using KNOPPIX"-faq. Will this automatically be in the faq in the next release of knoppix?

Stephen
10-22-2003, 08:25 PM
But I REALLY REALLY REALLY think this problem should be in the FAQ/Documentation! (with large print..)

Dell is a very common brand, and this problem might actually give knoppix a bad reputation.

I have expressed the same opinion a couple of times the warning should be on the boot screen and Dell should fix their buggy BIOS's as well so people would not have these problems.

Henk Poley
10-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Well okay, maybe you can (both) help and find out how to detect the dell BIOS under linux. Klaus Knopper can add a warning screen.

Good idea?