PDA

View Full Version : how to change the menu list in new customised knoppix cd

sfit
10-22-2003, 11:35 AM
how do i change the menu list in my new costomised cd.

rneff
10-22-2003, 06:22 PM
Can you be more specific?
What does the "menu list" refer to ?

triveditej
01-28-2004, 05:52 PM
sir,

we want to know, how to change the menu in the customised cd. because we tried changing the menu using menu editor(these changes were done on the extracted ISO)but when we burned the cd the changes were not reflected.is there any method by which we can change the menu such that the changes are reflected on the customised CD.

arkaine23
01-28-2004, 11:38 PM
boot the CD in runlevel 2, chroot to the remastered files on the HDD, copy and then chown and chmod the files (user knoppix, group knoppix, 755) from /etc/skel into a newly created /home/knoppix. su knoppix and create a ~/.xinitrc file to start KDE, and run startx. Now you are running KDE from the chrooted system. You'll need to menu edit and make other configuration changes from here. When done, you can delete the files (or back them up somehwere else is safer) in /etc/skel, then mv the edited /home/knoppix files back to /etc/skel and make them unwriteable and chown them to root.

A bit complex I admit, but it worked pretty well for me. But eventually even that technique is not perfect and you may have problenms deleting menu entries for unistalled software. Everyone is pretty perplexed as to how the menus are created, there are some system-wide defaults in /usr/share/kde and also in /var/share/kde/menu.

Whatever you do, do it carefully or you could get to the point where you have to start over.

sfit
02-06-2004, 08:17 AM
sir,

thanks for your reply
we tried it -
since the /skel of /etc/skel and /home/knoppix was identical, we made changes in
/etc/skel , mv the changes to /home/knoppix
But the changes were not reflected in the menu after we burned the image
we also tried earlier to make changes in /usr/lib/menu but it did not work either
Please help

sfit

dil
02-06-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi,
I've done changes in the kde menu.
For example supose that the source of th knoppix version that you wanna modify is in /mnt/hda5
You only have to edit which files that you want in
/mnt/hda5/usr/share/applnk

have a quick view to the files in this directory, and early you'll be able to do your custom menu.
Note that there are oculted files (.directory)

Thats all!

sfit
02-06-2004, 05:07 PM
sir,

thank you for reply

u say tht u have made changes in /usr/share/applnk for menu

and it got reflected in the menu after burning the iso

we had tried this but it did not work

please help

sfit

dil
02-06-2004, 05:28 PM
I don't know hot to help you.
I' modified a lot of thing in /mnt/hda5/usr/share/applnk and it allways go on!

It would be better if you explain what you've done...

Dil.

sfit
02-06-2004, 06:11 PM
sir,

thank you for reply

initially while remastering we tried to make changes in /usr/share/applnk

not working ,we tried with /usr/lib/menu

then we worked acc to a reply i.e. make changes in /etc/skel and transferring changes to /home/knoppix

it did not work either

kindly reply

sfit

arkaine23
02-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Perhaps I was unclear. What worked for me was to remaster by booting in text mode (runlevel 2), create an empty /home/knoppix, trasnfer teh contents of /etc/skel to /home/knoppix, chown and chmod them to be writeable and owned by knoppix, then make a .xinitrc file.

inside the file /home/knoppix/.xinitrc is:

startkde

Start x from chrooted environment as user knoppix using default configs that came from /etc/skel.

su knoppix
startx

Use KDE Control Center menu editor to edit the menus.

mv contents of /etc/skel to somewhere else (as a backup) in case of problems.

mv contents of /home/knoppix to empty directory /etc/skel. Delete empty directory /home/knoppix. Chown -R root:root and chmod -R 755 all files in /etc/skel.

Remaster and test.

sfit
02-12-2004, 08:36 AM
sir,

you mentioned
>inside het file /home/knoppix/.xinitrc is startkde
is that file (startkde)already present or we have to create it?

>kde control cntre menu editor
we tried making changes here but it did not work

please help

arkaine23
02-16-2004, 06:37 PM
/home/knoppix/.xinintrc - create this file. It's contents should be a single line thats says-

startkde

Then you'd get into kde by running the command startx. And then edit the kmenu. When done, you have you edited kmenu in /home/knoppix/.kde/share/applnk. Which needs to be put in /etc/skel/.kde/share/applnk.

In addition to the menu here, there is a system-wide menu in /usr/share/applnk, and many entries there point to desktop items in /var/lib/kde/menu. These also may need some manual editing to match your edited kmenu.

bhavin
04-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Hello Friends,

I am stuck up in similar problem of changing KMenu(Start Menu). I made the changes to
/etc/skel/.kde/applnk
/usr/share/applnk
/var/lib/kde/applnk
but I was unable to change my Start Menu.

Can you please reply with proper steps needed to take to change start menu. Thanking You in advance.

BK

arkaine23
04-26-2004, 06:02 PM
The menus having been kicking my keister lately too. Either a knoppix script or a menu updating script is probably to blame.

I have more-or-less successfully edited my menus in the past.

The procedure was as described above from a text mode boot, I created /home/knoppix as a copy of /etc/skel. I chowned it to the user knoppix. I became knoppix and started x using the startx command and an ~/.xinitrc file. I then edited the menus and desktop settings graphically. When I was finished, I moved the original /etc/skel outside of the remastered filesystem and kept it as backup. I then renamed /home/knoppix into a new /etc/skel, and chowned -R /etc/skel so it would be owned by root.

Lately though, this has left me with a partially edited kmenu, and has left some sections of the kmenu blank where once there were apps. Some of my kicker icons work, but lose the icon I associated with them, while others both lose the icon and break- claiming they are linked to non-existent desktop entries in /var/lib/kde/menu.

The end result is that I hate the kmenu and the kicker.

bhavin
04-27-2004, 10:00 AM
Even the Kmenuedit do not show me some of menu items appearing in KMenu. I can anybody please give the list of files/folders to be altered to change KMenu.
Bk

arkaine23
04-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Wow, and I've had the opposite problem. kmenuedit shows all items, but my menu is missing entries. And I even checked to make sure they were not hidden...