PDA

View Full Version : Writing to a (ext3) hard disk from cd boot

conor
10-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi folks,
I'm having a problem writing to my hard disk after booting up from a 3.3 CD. The disk is mounted fine and I can read it, and have set the properties so that it is not read only by right clicking it on the desktop. However, if I try to write to it, I get a read-only error.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Conor

Dave_Bechtel
10-22-2003, 07:08 PM
--You need to have a directory owned by the knoppix user, or change existing permissions, or do things as root. Please be more specific as to exactly what you are trying to accomplish - are you saving a document file, copying things around, etc.

--Post results of ' mount '.

Hi folks,
I'm having a problem writing to my hard disk after booting up from a 3.3 CD. The disk is mounted fine and I can read it, and have set the properties so that it is not read only by right clicking it on the desktop. However, if I try to write to it, I get a read-only error.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Conor

conor
10-22-2003, 07:30 PM
I was trying to copy files onto the hard disk as root, however, I figured out the problem, which is that Knopppix seems to mount file systems as read only by default. It was just a matter of changing the entry in /etc/fstab - thanks for checking anyway, I appreciate you taking the time.

Dave_Bechtel
10-22-2003, 07:41 PM
--You can also remount on the fly:
' mount /mnt/blah -oremount,rw ' as root, if it's already mounted.