PDA

View Full Version : Running progrtams at startup like apache. postrgresql server

softgun
10-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Hi
After installation to HDD I find that apche etc DO not start at boot automatically.
How do I setup for these programs to start at boot time using a gui based interphase preferably
:wink:

paradocs
10-24-2003, 04:28 AM
Greetings softgun,

If you use KDE then the gui way to start things at
boot up is to put a link or script in the folder:
/home/knoppix/.kde/Autostart

I am sure you know that .kde is a hidden file
and you have to click on view and show hidden
to see it.

Also remember that the script may need to have
sudo at the beginning a a line to start
the process as root.

There are other places in the root directories
that are run at boot up -- but we will see what
others have to say.

Best Wishes
paradocs

RockMumbles
10-24-2003, 05:06 AM
First (as root) see if this command starts apache:
/etc/init.d/apache restart
if it does without errors then continue with my manual setup, if you get errors you may need to run apachectl (as root) to set up apache. (I think apachectl should set up everything for you.)

If you need to set up a service manually, here is some info on setting up a service that is in /etc/init.d...

Look at /etc/inittab and see what runlevel you use as your default runlevel, look for lines like this:
# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:

then lets use apache as an example, look in /etc/rcX.d where X is the number in id:X:initdefault:
and see if you have a symlink to /etc/init.d/apache:
use this command:
ls -al /etc/rcX.d (make sure and substitute your runlevel number for X)

on my system I see:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 20 2002 S91apache -> ../init.d/apache

At this point if you don't see a symlink from your runlevel directory to ../init.d/apache make one like this:
(AS root)
cd /etc/rcX.d (again use the proper runlevel for X)
ln -s ../init.d/apache ./S91apache

Once this is done apache will be started up at boot. Note the "S" for start, you'll also need to look into /etc/rc0.d and make sure you have a kill link in there so do this:
ln -al /etc/rc0.d
on my system I see:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 20 2002 K20apache -> ../init.d/apache
if this symlink is not present on your system then you'll need to make it similar to the startup link, so do this:
cd /etc/rc0.d
ln -s ../init.d/apache ./K20apache

HTH

~rock

softgun
10-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Thanks everyone!
I am afraid I needed a GUI based way for many of my new Linux converted friends. They will not accept the script editing stuff! I apologise for not making this clearer on my first posting.
However I found a solution. Webmin.
Install it
Access it through the web browser
Go to System
Bootup and shutdown.
Select whatever program you want to start
click radio button "start at bootup"
Save!

Wow!

Everyone of my Knoppix converted friends are VERY happy with Webmin. They even got a kick out of installing it in the shell prompt :D

lavaman094
10-28-2003, 05:17 AM
Thanks everyone!
I am afraid I needed a GUI based way for many of my new Linux converted friends. They will not accept the script editing stuff! I apologise for not making this clearer on my first posting.
However I found a solution. Webmin.
Install it
Access it through the web browser
Go to System
Bootup and shutdown.
Select whatever program you want to start
click radio button "start at bootup"
Save!

Wow!

Everyone of my Knoppix converted friends are VERY happy with Webmin. They even got a kick out of installing it in the shell prompt :D

I personally use the SystemV-Init Editor under the System menu. It is a GUI, and it basically self-explanatory. I don't know what the numbers besides the programs mean, besides some sort of start/kill order I guess, but it gets the job done for me.

I will check out webmin though...