PDA

View Full Version : HDD knoppix without partitioning

waynejkruse10
10-24-2003, 11:03 PM
is hdd knopix without partitioning posible and if it is how do u do it
wayne

rickenbacherus
10-25-2003, 12:53 AM
Well yes and no. You have to make at least one partition. This is true os all OS's. But if you already have a single partition to install Knoppix to then yes I suppose you could avoid partitioning all together. It is preferrable to have a swap partition and a /home partition however. I realize this may not always be an option.

If you have to go to the trouble of partitioning tho then you might as well make three of them. :) Post some drive specs if you want help partitioning.

waynejkruse10
10-25-2003, 01:15 AM
i have a floppy drive, cd drive and 1 hard drive and i do not want to partition at all.
wayne

Superstoned
10-25-2003, 01:34 AM
well, if the hd is empty and has a ext2/ext3 partition on it, you can install knoppix. but if windows is there, you can't install it on the same partition... like you cant install windows twice... why dont u want to make partitions? its easy and usefull!

waynejkruse10
10-25-2003, 01:36 AM
do u need to format the hdd to make partitions
wayne

rickenbacherus
10-25-2003, 03:27 AM
Yes - all partitions need to be formatted if you intend on using them. Fret not tho- Knoppix will see what partitions you have available and ask which ones to use. You select the format type and it does it for you. It is also extremely easy to partition them yourself.

Since you are booting from cd you can install Knoppix and be online at the same time. I would recommend that you fire up Knoppix, get onto irc and /j #knoppix. You will find the best live tech support available there. It is well worth your time.

If you need help w/ irc just say so. There are several people there able and willing to help. There is a partitioning how-to here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3311). There is also qtparted which runs from the Knoppix cd.

If you have a single hard drive that you wish to install only Linux to start from scratch like this:

Boot Knoppix, open a root shell and do

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

This will zero your hard drive. It may take a while but you will see an 'out of disk' error when it finishes. You don't need to do this everytime you want to install something but it is a good idea to start fresh at least occasionally. :)

Then fire up either qtparted or cfdisk from the same root shell. Follow the directions in the howto I linked. But most importantly- don't worry. You aren't going to do anything that cannot be undone. Keep in ind that partitioning is nothing more than taking a disk and making smaller disks from it according to the sizes you want.

waynejkruse10
10-25-2003, 06:34 AM
i dont want to format my hdd, because ive only done it once and that was with the help of a pro
wayne

bongski55
10-25-2003, 11:33 AM
why not do a "poor man's install"? See the docs for instructions.

waynejkruse10
10-25-2003, 11:38 PM
can i do a "poor mans install" without a partition
wayne

rickenbacherus
10-26-2003, 05:13 AM
i dont want to format my hdd, because ive only done it once and that was with the help of a pro
wayne

Are you afraid of saving files to your hard drive too? It isn't any different than formatting really. You're writing something to the surface of the disc either way. Partitioning just sounds scary until you do it a few times. :)

Have you even tried the knoppix-installer yet? It will do most all of it for you. Just try the defaults and let Linux do it. Worst case scenario is that you do it again. It takes only 20 minutes or less. If you have no other operating system on that hard drive then you have nothing to lose. You are not going to ruin the disc, you are not going to ruin your machine.

waynejkruse10
10-26-2003, 09:53 AM
i am a student and my computer is essential at this time because of so many assesments and assignments and if i screw it up i am screwed.
mabye once i get a new computer (hopefully by the end of the year) then im planning to format make a couple of partitions and experiment with hdd intall of knopix and other os's
wayne

Superstoned
10-26-2003, 07:56 PM
I hope you do understand - to make partitions, you dont have to format your whole disk - only the (newly made) partitions, and making partitions and formatting them is (in this case) almost the same... So all your other data (windows etc) is safe...

Neb00
10-26-2003, 08:53 PM
Hi Wayne
I know what you are trying to do and no you cannot install on your machine with out making a separate partition. But with the use of a program like Partition Magic from PowerQuest you will be able to change the size of your current partition and then install Knoppix on the rest. I suggest you ask around one of you friend at school might have a copy that you can use. You will need around 500 meg partition for swap and 5 gig for the knoppix in stall. You can use the Lilo boot loader to select witch operating system you want to use at start up. This may be the answer you are looking for but what ever you do BACK UP YOUR DATA before you mess with your partition. I did the above operation on an XP laptop and it worked great.
Later

waynejkruse10
10-27-2003, 10:02 AM
ok