PDA

View Full Version : recommended partition sizes

UselessPython
10-25-2003, 07:44 PM
I've been using linux on and off and to varying degrees since around Red Hat 5.1, but I still feel like I'm guessing when I choose partitions for a linux system. So I figured I'd run this by the forum and see what the feedback is on it:

I just did a hard drive install on my Micron TransPort XT laptop, which has 128 MB of RAM and a 10 GB drive (ample for my day-to-day needs, especially since I can save plenty of stuff onto the file server at home and burn CDs of things that need to go mobile with me).

To keep things simple, I chose to install knoppix-style instead of debian-style and set aside 90% of the drive for a primary partition, leaving just shy of a gig for swap with a roughly 7 MB partition of left-over space.

I basically use the laptop for the mundane tasks of email, browsing, office work, showing off knoppix to people I know (which often leads to them asking me for a knoppix CD, of which I tend to keep a few handy for this purpose), etc.

Any thoughts or recommendations? If someone manages to persuade me that a different scheme is better suited to healthy knoppix living, I have no problems making changes.