PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix - File Server Edition

10-25-2003, 08:20 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the fourm, and a somewhat new to the linux community. I know that you guys provide very good tech support, and solutions to much of problems listed.

The problem I experience is that I like much switch to linux because of the flexibility, open-source, and sercurity aspects. I have ran my file server under Linux, but for the most part, failed at setting it up to be a useful machine.

Could some one take 1-3 hours to produce a knoppix distro with the following.

KDE
Network Utils - NMAP, etc.
Network Sharing - Samba, SWAT, Samba Client
Network Servers - DHCP, DNS, WEB,
Other utils nessesary to setup samba, and configure it

Other features could include SWAT to be running as a default service,
At first login, run a Network Config Wizard to enable / disable running services, as well as to config them.

I thank you for taking the time to read this..

If you have a suggestion on different distros that already do this, I would appriciate a link.

Thanks WIL :)

aay
10-25-2003, 10:16 PM
Ok the standard Knoppix does not have everything you list (e.g. SWAT), but Samba is there.

The newest Knoppix has a button somewhere in the Knoppix menu that quickly sets up Samba and enables you to share all or some of the detected partitions. You may wish to try that.

10-26-2003, 04:13 AM
thnx I'll give 3.3 a download see what it can offer me. Its just so frustrating when trying to switch to linux, and you run into problem after problem ... Thnx again aay

aay
10-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Its just so frustrating when trying to switch to linux, and you run into problem after problem.

True there is a lot to learn at first, but you certainly won't regret it. Once you gain even moderate linux skills you'll enjoy computing a lot more than with windows. Try to get some good reference materials.

You can start with this:
http://linux-newbie.sunsite.dk/

And get more detailed info here:
http://rute.sourceforge.net/