PDA

View Full Version : Unable to mount AES256 homedir in Gentoo

bustersnyvel
10-26-2003, 09:56 AM
Hi there,

I've been using Knoppix extensively lately, using an USB stick as homedir. It has a single FAT32 partition with an image of my homedir 'knoppix.img' on it. The image is encrypted with the AES256 encryption. Booting with "knoppix home=scan" works like a charm, asks me for my passphrase and mounts the stick as expected.

Now I want to be able to access the data on the image on my main computer as well. I've got Gentoo (kernel gentoo-linux-2.4.20-r8) running on it, with the 'cryptoapi' and 'cryptoloop' modules loaded. When I give the appropriate (I think) mount command, I get this:

sybren $ sudo mount -t ext2 /mnt/thumb/knoppix.img knoppix/home -o encryption=aes,keybits=256
Password: (I type my passphrase here)
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0,
or too many mounted file systems

AES encryption is supported by my kernel, since if I change it to something else, I get:

sybren $ sudo mount -t ext2 /mnt/thumb/knoppix.img knoppix/home -o encryption=aes256,keybits=256
The cipher does not exist, or a cipher module needs to be loaded into the kernel
ioctl: LOOP_SET_STATUS: Invalid argument

Does anyone know how I can access my stick on a non-knoppix system?

bustersnyvel
10-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Doesn't any of the smart brains around here know of the answer?

Leprechaun
02-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I had this same problem. I found out things worked just fine if I created the encryption in Gentoo and then mounted it with Knoppix. Something must be screwy on one of those sides, but I'm not sure who is to blame. Best of luck.

bustersnyvel
02-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for the tip!