PDA

View Full Version : Xfce4, kdm, beginner stuck...

RJDReid
10-26-2003, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

I've a hdd install of knoppix that I'm very happy with. However I've just installed xfce4 and am having difficulty in running it via kdm.

I think my xfce4 install is fine as the Xnest script on http://www.xfce.org/en/documentation.html works fine. I can using the Kcontrol centre add Xfce4 as an option to the window manager selector; selecting it starts up my default wm.

Looking around in my /etc/X11/Xsession.d doesn't help me much as I can't see where the wm selection is done. A previous post suggested editing a /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file. I don't have one.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

bsaunders
11-18-2003, 06:07 AM
I've found a way to get Xfce4 to start from KDM. It's not elegant but it works.

Step 1. (This was posted by four_season_photo@yahoo.com on comp.os.linux.setup)

create a shell script in /usr/bin called xfwm4.0 which contains the following lines.

#!/bin/bash
xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon
xfaskbar4 &
xfdesktop &
exec xfce4-panel

Then edit /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, changing the reference to "xfwm4" to
point to the new script, in this case "xfwm4.0"

You should now be able to run Xfce4 from kdm. However, if you run apt-get upgrade, the reference to xfwm4.0 will be removed whenever kdm is updated.

To keep xfce4 on your list of window managers, you will need to edit the following file.

/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/x-window-manager

you will see a reference to /usr/bin/xfwm4 . Just change the line to refer to xfwm4.0 and things should be fine.