PDA

View Full Version : PC does not shut down

Eradicator
10-27-2003, 03:24 AM
I did a HD install and now when I try to shut down the system from KDE it just hangs when it says powering off. I tried holding in the power button but it does not shut down.

I have a PII 300 on an intel sebx440 mobo and 192mb RAM....

Any ideas? Anything else you need to help me?

Thanks

Eradicator
10-27-2003, 03:28 AM
If I hold the button long enough it will shut off once it says POWER DOWN but shouldn't it just shut itself off? When I was using Redhat it did on the same PC.

Thanks

Stephen
10-27-2003, 04:02 AM
I did a HD install and now when I try to shut down the system from KDE it just hangs when it says powering off. I tried holding in the power button but it does not shut down.

I have a PII 300 on an intel sebx440 mobo and 192mb RAM....

Any ideas? Anything else you need to help me?

Thanks

You can try when you get to your LILO boot screen and type in linux noacpi to disable the ACPI power saving which is reacting badly with APM if this works when you shutdown then you would edit your /etc/lilo.conf and add that to the append= line so that it would look like append="noacpi another_option" and run /sbin/lilo to commit the changes.

Eradicator
10-27-2003, 01:58 PM
Thanks

I will give it a try. I am very very new to linux so I will have to work through those directions.

Also I have 2 other OS's listed on my Lilo screen. I think they were previous Linux installs. Where would I delete them...in the lilo.conf file? Are they always located in a particular spot?

What do you mean " run /sbin/lilo to commit the changes."?

Do you mean type that in the console (run /sbin/lilo)?

Thanks