PDA

View Full Version : Networking Knoppic (CD) and windows XP

xarkangelx
10-27-2003, 04:32 AM
Ok here's my issues,

A guya work with, his XP laptop has crashed and we NEED to get some files (about 1gig) off of it. When Xp loads, it goes straight to the blue screen of Death.

So I throw in Knoppix 3.2 Cd, boots up fine, I can see the files under the hard drive, BUT when I try to just connect using a cross over cable from the XP machine to the Knoppix I can't seem to get the machines to "show" a connection.

If I hardcode the IP's I am able to ping each other just fine, but I can't figure out how in the GUI screen how to view my XP laptop to the Knoppix laptop, any idea's? We need to get these files out before we format the damned XP box... Any help would be great, as well a littel more "Walk through" style instructions, since I haven't had the chance to play with knoppix much my self as I am never home on my Linux box...

johanvdw
10-27-2003, 10:07 AM
You need to use a samba-client application. You could try this graphical program:
xfsamba
I think it's the only samba client delivered with knoppix
(but give xsmbrowser a try, maybe that works).
Step by step instructions:
Run command
Type xfsamba
Type you windows xp name in "location"
Click on the share you want to use and press the "Mount" button on the toolbar (a harddisk icon with a green V).

certifieduser
10-27-2003, 03:45 PM
since you are using a cross over cable the knoppix dont get an IP from any dhcp source

configure the knoppix with IP manually and make it ping the other XP box
no spoon feeding here for configuring IP on knoppix

now your networking is ready between two boxes
click on the desktop the right drive/partition where your data is and get it mounted

all this on knoppix box
cd /etc
rm hosts.deny hosts.allow
cd /etc/init.d
./inetd restart
passwd knoppix

your knoppix ftp server is ready to accept connections

get a ftp client on XP box, either cuteFTP or wsFTP or any guiFTP client
connect to knoppix and drill inside the right partition and directory and pull your data onto the XP box

happy backup

tealeaf
11-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Hopt this may help:

1. Connect the laptop to the network.
2. Start the laptop with knoppix CD
3. Open the Root Shell
4. type in:
mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator,password=xxx //servername/some_share /mnt/test

mkdir /mnt/test/laptop

cp -Rp /mnt/hda1/* /mnt/test/laptop