PDA

View Full Version : Software installation

Quins
10-27-2003, 12:52 PM
I have 2hds. One bears windows xp and the other knoppix 3.2 Since i am a TOTAL Newbie
i' like the experts to answer some few questions for me before i go down with fraus.
1) How do i add knoppix to the MBR to boot direct Knoppix or XP. I boot now with floppy
2) Onboard soundcard is recognised but no sound.
3) When i opened Xine player to play DVD, i get "No Plugins". I went to their Website,
downloaded some. They say extract and intall with tar.gz. WHAT is that? HOW do i use it?
WHERE do i find it?

CrashedAgain
10-29-2003, 06:06 AM
1) When you installed Knoppix, where did you put the LILO boot loader? The install script would have prompted you for this.LILO must be on the MBR of whichever HD your BIOS is set to boot into (probably the one with XP). LILO should automatically include all possible drives, including some which may not be bootable. You can edit these out later if you want to. Since you are already installed, you may be able to fix it now using Lilo-config which is in the the ADMIN submenu of the SYSTEM menu item.
2)You may be able to get the sound up with 'sndconfig' command run in terminal. must be root or else 'sudo sndconfig'
3)tar.gz is a zipped archive. You are supposed to be able to extract these with 'tar -xf <filename> (type man tar to get the exact syntax & options) but I have had problems with this (often get 'unrecognized file format'). Probably I'm doing something wrong. but seem to be able to reliably extract archives if you do it from the konqueror browser. Extract is on the right click submenu.
I am also pretty much a nOOb. Isn't it fun!

Quins
10-30-2003, 01:16 PM
Well,thanks for all the efforts.Anyway non of the do's solved my quests.
'By all means necessary' i will keep on trying.

Thanks CrashedAgain!!!