PDA

View Full Version : Two ways to install to HDD

Noclaf
10-28-2003, 02:02 PM
There are two different ways to install to HD: debian-style and knoppix. What is the difference?

And the second question: knoppix-installer formats partition i've chosen to ext3 fs. How to make it formatiing reiserfs or not to format at all?

lavaman094
10-30-2003, 12:37 AM
I personally use the "knx-hdinstall", even though some people encourage the use of "knoppix-installer". knx-hdinstall is a better installer, it doesn't ask you questions like "user password" "your real name" etc, and lets you partition your drive hte way you want and select which services you want to run after bootup.

As far as the differences, I have no idea, it sounds like a knoppix-type-install might be just like running of the CD, but I find that hard to believe.

UselessPython
10-30-2003, 02:44 PM
I chose the knoppix style, and it really is just about exactly like running from the CD. As it happens, I'm about to wipe it and give the debian style install a go.

stukennedyuk
10-30-2003, 05:15 PM
I suggest using the debian option in knoppix-installer, you get the best of both worlds. If you have problems betting your drive partitioned and formatted, you could run a (e.g.) Mandrake installer first and use the partitions it sets up!

Knoppix autoconfigures everything it finds (so plug everything you expect to use in!) and then passes this configuration onto Debian. You know that if it works on Knoppix, it will work with Debian and you are spared the task of a normal Debian install. (v-difficult)

You then have a 'normal' install including passwords for root, for example. It makes it easier to make changes like making drives auto mount, setting dma on and so on. Also any stuff you find on the web on Debian will now apply, especially the boot sequence!

Knoppix uses /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to set the hardware up by the way. A complex script, but you will recognise bits of it from the boot screen.

Stubie, newbie.....

UselessPython
10-31-2003, 12:46 PM
Having now done it both ways, I'm pretty pleased with the debian installation (although I basically knew what to expect, since I had installed debian style on a PC at the office before the knoppix style HD install became an option).

The knoppix style HD install is a novelty, which has both positive and negative aspects. For me, standardized ways of doing things are pretty important, so the choice was fairly clear from the start. I just like to experiment.

I'm just glad knoppix came into being if only because I had found traditional debian installation to be a little arcane. I was one of those people who would've gladly chosen debian long ago but could just never get it up and running right. Add on knoppix's handiness for use in training, system recovery, and linux-on-the-go, and it's a slam dunk.

Air-Op
11-03-2003, 05:44 AM
The knoppix hd install doesn't detect my usb mouse, while running it off of cd works great.

I tried doing an apt-get update
and an openoffice 1.1 install
the openoffice 1.1 is really nice! it worked!

(though I had to use it without my mouse, as I couldn't figure out the XF86Config)

and then I thought about doing an apt-get upgrade just for the heck of it... and then my hd got corrupted!

It passed a bad block detection...

Then I tried the debain install mode.
It didn't startx (knoppix mode did)
and network didn't work.. even when I modprobed 3c59x and did the netcard config

So... I just figured out that I have two net cards... but it didn't detect either...
a 3c905 pci anda 3c509 isa

its an amd k6 mmx
at 200 mhz
on a motherboard with the old AT keyboard... luckily I have one of those... and no ps2 ports..
but it does have integrated usb... but I don't have the riser... and I put in an extra usb card that I had lying arround.

anyway... I'm going to try the knx-installer next... then the knoppix-installer again and try to fiddle with settings.

(oh, debian mode, I'm going to fiddle with X a bit more before giving up)

s3 868 vesa mode

lavaman094
11-03-2003, 06:23 AM
The knoppix hd install doesn't detect my usb mouse, while running it off of cd works great.

(oh, debian mode, I'm going to fiddle with X a bit more before giving up)

s3 868 vesa mode

if nothing else works, try a poor-man's install.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-05-2003, 03:01 AM
I can't get printers to work off the debian style install. Anyone out there have any success with remote printers (over a LAN)?

TIA,

UselessPython
11-05-2003, 05:02 AM
I can't get printers to work of the debian style install. Anyone out there have any success with remote printers (over a LAN)?

TIA,

I've had a near-100% success rate with network printers under knoppix, both from the liveboot CD and after HD installs. The few occasions in which I've seen problems, it's usually something just plain odd.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-06-2003, 12:57 AM
OK, python, so maybe you can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong?

I did a little experiment today using http://loacalhost:631 to configure just a plain old local printer on the parallel port of my PC. Now when I create the printer with root it works under root only. When I create the printer under my personal login (mrg) it works when I'm logged-in as root and when I'm logged-in as mrg. Isn't this already wierd? SHouldn't root be able to create a printer for anyone to use?

Now for the really hairy part. I created 12 users with adduser for my students to save their files remotely via fish and this is working fine. But, when my students create a printer for themselves using http://localhost:631, as I did with mrg, the printer does not print for anyone except when you're logged-in as root!

The only differnece I can think of between mrg and the other non-super users is that I added these users after the hdinstall. In other words, knoppix-installer created root and mrg. Is there something special I need to do when using adduser for this to work right?

TIA,

UselessPython
11-06-2003, 01:16 AM
I'll see if I can try a few experiments in the office (might be a few days before I'm there for long enough, since I do on-site networking most days). I've had pretty good luck there using knoppix on the network so far.

I haven't really tried multi-user printer setup under knoppix, yet, since where there's at least one PC for everyone there. I generally just set up a printer for use under my own user name and do everything from there.