PDA

View Full Version : Dell, HT and SATA = no good

RealNitro
10-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi, I used knoppix on my old computer, but on my new one I get stuck at booting. My system is a Dell dimension 8300 P4 3Ghz, with HT, and a SATA harddisk. Unfortunately it seems to be one of the worst combinations possible for using knoppix: the HT gave me some trouble, and now I get 7 or 8 times 'hda: lost interrupt' at boottime, then the procedure continues, but the system hangs when knoppix searches for the partitions. I know this has been asked before on the forum, but I there were no answers that could solve the problem. One weird thing is that, when I use the dma cheatcode, the code of my hd is displayed correctly... (SL...). Is there a cheatcode to solve my problem (like disabeling hd detection)? The cheatcode combinations I tried are:
'knoppix nosmp' - solves the HT problem
'knoppix nosmp failsafe' - 'hda: lost interrupt'
'knoppix nosmp failsafe dma' - idem

RealNitro
11-02-2003, 04:43 PM
Anyone?

Miguel
11-04-2003, 10:53 PM
I have a P4 2.8Ghz with HT and SATA (intel 875) and in fact Knoppix is the only distribution I have been able to boot on it for the moment. I use just

knoppix dma

When it boots it gives an error regarding the presence of only one processor, but don't care about it.

Hope it helps :-)

rickenbacherus
11-05-2003, 02:20 AM
I have a P4 2.8Ghz with HT and SATA (intel 875) and in fact Knoppix is the only distribution I have been able to boot on it for the moment. I use just

knoppix dma

When it boots it gives an error regarding the presence of only one processor, but don't care about it.

Try this:

boot: knoppix dma nosmp

RealNitro
11-05-2003, 02:09 PM

knoppix dma

Try this:

boot: knoppix dma nosmp
Or just go in to your BIOS and enable the HT.

RealNitro
11-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Ok, I retried to boot, with HT enabled and with 'knoppix dma' as cheatcode. Once again the same result, it got stuck at [...]creating \etc\fctab . Don't shoot me if that last term is wrong :wink: . Even waiting for 20 minuts didn't help (you can't say I gave up too easily).
Miguel, did you change something in your BIOS? And what version of knoppix do you use?